Auckland moorings - a public service announcement.

As some of you will be aware, our recently serviced mooring disappeared.

Over the weekend I took google maps and a grapnel for a ride in the dinghy, and found it. Well, most of it.

The new buoy rope (3 strand), which had been spliced to the new buoy, was now just a rope, the splice had completely come undone, and the buoy has floated off to (probably) greener pastures.

I've let the Harbour Masters office know, and I'm wondering about taking the contractor to small claims for the cost of a new buoy and getting someone with a clue to splice it properly.

Check your knots and splices. Carefully.

Maybe someone needs to inspect the inspectors?

Maybe someone needs to inspect the inspectors?

NZTA doesn't seem to think anyone needs to inspect the inspectors,

anyway, jokes aside, something appears seriously amiss with who ever Auckland Transport (the Harbour Master) are now using for anchoring floating things to the sea floor.

There is a nice little swim platform at Stanmore Bay, we had a mild north easter the weekend before last (The Akarena 350 race weekend), a wet weekend, but not that windy in the scale of windy-ness.

Anyway, the swim platform broke free and washed away. It really shouldn't have broken free it what was a fairly mild blow. It has broken free before, but it has generally been in an ex TC, with sustained swell and wave action from the NE, generally with a storm warning in the met service forecast. Usually associated with Tamaki Drive flooding and a couple of shitters breaking loose at Orakie.

So I think your issue will not be isolated. I have a funny feeling Auckland Transport would have awarded a contract based on the lowest price....

Little shoal bay.

There's a few that service that area, i went for the one with the shortest to-do list. Then had a five month wait.

Apparently google maps is fairly accurate with its satellite imagery, I spent an hour or so motoring over the picture of my boat and hooked the rope.

We switched to a new contractor at the local club recently, they have been very professional, good on communication and no complaints other than price. But that was mostly because all the moorings needed upgrading to the Harbour Board spec and most  were well overdue because of continuing delays by the old provider.

All the contractors have been flat out therefore  unless they happen to have the barge in your particular area there will be a wait.

My gripe about the delay is that two contractors said "about two months" and the third said 3 weeks. Then took 5 months, wouldn't answer the phone and wouldn't reply to emails. I eventually called the harbourmaster to find out if they had gone out of business. My mooring was serviced the next day or so.

A little communication can go a long way.

Hello LK38,

I'm pleased to see you do not shave the hairs on your knee :wtf: ;)

Bloody hard to get a decent photo in a boat that size, and I believe only hookers shave above the knee

Hey KM, since you already have the spec's on file somewhere, can you please create a buoy and rope to fit? Nothing unusual or special, but I'll shackle it onto the remaining parts.

HM reckons something big tied to the buoy and it just pulled the splice apart. I'm not convinced, I'll drop the rope in at some point so you can have a nosey, probably when I pick up the new one!

I too lost a serviced mooring, but unluckily after employing a diver on two occasions it was found, but did not exactly match what was thought to be there.

Granted I had not used it while searching for a new boat.

Attached a new chain to lift and have inspected but no one wants to do so.  Now abandoned as the cost to proceed exceeds the cost to purchase a new one. I'm hoping to get my chain back once the weather clears and maybe see the bl*#*dy thing.