Fan Worm in Opua

Every other regional council in NZ decided attempting eradication is futile. NRC must think they are different... God like maybe.

From the link.

“The divers were then stood down as biosecurity experts analysed the findings and considered the best management approach, with the maturity, numbers of fanworm and their spread indicating they may have been in the area (probably having hitchhiked in on a visiting vessel) for several years.”

Members of the Northland Regional Council had subsequently committed $60,000 towards a roughly month-long, weather-dependent effort to try to eradicate the pest. Once finished, results from the latest eradication attempt will be reviewed again before further work is considered.

Totally agree, the horse has bolted. Launched in fan worm infested Fungaray 3 years in a row with the bow heading north armed with our "wash certificate" from Norsand saying we are antifouled and date of launch and not once inspected or asked for it. Marsden Cove has given up paying Andy to dive in the marina to clean it out (she thought the leopard seal was "inquisitive"!)so any boats from there are considered "infected". I know for a fact that most boaties coming north either have given up or can't be bothered cleaning as its inevitable the bloody things will invade. I know for a fact there is a lot of fan worm now in the Kerikeri Inlet. Fungers?..crawling! Up here in Whangaroa not yet. We have done the right thing but how many can't be stuffed. It's a losing battle.

Great work for the divers and guaranteed payment-sweet. Its been in the Te Puna for over a year I wonder how the ratepayers feel about this money wastage -and no attempt to control the Opua square Barnacle ??? Ban BOI boats from coming south I say.

• Upvote 2

isn't $60k what it costs for a council to sneeze?

I don't think that will cover it.

May be enough for the 3 meetings of at least 12 people to chew over the blindingly obvious, but not nearly enough for the environmental impact statement, H&S plan, resource consent, archealogical assessment, cultural assessment, Iwi consultation, and oversight by the Office for Bullying, office of the Auditor General and input from a representative of each of the LGBTIQ community.

Did I miss anything? 

What? a representative of the boating community, nah, f*ck them, all those middle aged white guys don't count, they only pay taxes and rates and stuff, we don't need to consider them...

I don't think that will cover it.

May be enough for the 3 meetings of at least 12 people to chew over the blindingly obvious, but not nearly enough for the environmental impact statement, H&S plan, resource consent, archealogical assessment, cultural assessment, Iwi consultation, and oversight by the Office for Bullying, office of the Auditor General and input from a representative of each of the LGBTIQ community.

Did I miss anything? 

What? a representative of the boating community, nah, f*ck them, all those middle aged white guys don't count, they only pay taxes and rates and stuff, we don't need to consider them...

Clapping...

That's not all. Mayoral discussions throughout  NZ are getting the pollies to legislate for fan worm.. Fools that they are they will probably do it. Object ? Fees ,fees and more fees plus paper work. More controls at choke points,in this case ,marinas. BS. Nothing is being done about the ships that brought /bring fan worm in. Like so much of NZ today its all about revenue production and bureaucratic control, all in our best interests of course

Good point Army, sitting in Urquharts Bay we watched the HUGE wash of ship ballast water being pumped out direct into the Bay from some log ship. Where from!? What was in it? Is it tested by Biosecurity prior to discharge? Treated? Another question and this one irks me, all these invasive species, why don't we get things like halibut? Spider crabs? Giant Pacific lobsters? Arctic groupers? No, it's always bloody things you can't or woukdn't dream of eating let alone catching!

Was dived on in Urquharts bay a few weeks ago, 1/2 a million + - bucks worth of rubber ducky, dive gear, electronics etc. 4 people on board, saw them having lunch and thought they were after scallops. After lunch they came over and asked to dive on our boat, it was then i saw the NRC banner, up first I said no, I was then informed that under the bio security act they didn't need my permission, but as I was on board asked as a courtesy. They were very polite and nice with it, explaining that they were contractors and any questions should be directed to NRC. So the diver went in, he films the bottom and this is relayed to a tablet on the ducky along with an audio from the diver telling what he see's and where on the hull it is / was. Fan worm was one of 4 things on their list, one of the others was undaria weed, can't remember what the other 2 were. I got a "clean" bill of health, light fouling, barnacles, and an oyster or 3. Had they found any of the 4 on the list they would have removed them if it was 1 or 3 but if it was more that that I would have been unable to move anywhere until a plan by NRC had been decided on to deal with whatever they found. Given that all the yards are booked up months in advance for normal slipping jobs I could probably still be there. Then it was scallop time, didn't bring any back to me though ;-(

Had a wander around Marsden Cove Marina, walls infested with fan worm, Now that all yachts are directed to either the B.o.I or Marsden cove to clear in / out of NZ it must be considered that customs and immigration couldn't care less about fan worm etc.

Was dived on in Urquharts bay a few weeks ago, 1/2 a million + - bucks worth of rubber ducky, dive gear, electronics etc. 4 people on board, saw them having lunch and thought they were after scallops. After lunch they came over and asked to dive on our boat, it was then i saw the NRC banner, up first I said no, I was then informed that under the bio security act they didn't need my permission, but as I was on board asked as a courtesy. They were very polite and nice with it, explaining that they were contractors and any questions should be directed to NRC. So the diver went in, he films the bottom and this is relayed to a tablet on the ducky along with an audio from the diver telling what he see's and where on the hull it is / was. Fan worm was one of 4 things on their list, one of the others was undaria weed, can't remember what the other 2 were. I got a "clean" bill of health, light fouling, barnacles, and an oyster or 3. Had they found any of the 4 on the list they would have removed them if it was 1 or 3 but if it was more that that I would have been unable to move anywhere until a plan by NRC had been decided on to deal with whatever they found. Given that all the yards are booked up months in advance for normal slipping jobs I could probably still be there. Then it was scallop time, didn't bring any back to me though ;-(

Had a wander around Marsden Cove Marina, walls infested with fan worm, Now that all yachts are directed to either the B.o.I or Marsden cove to clear in / out of NZ it must be considered that customs and immigration couldn't care less about fan worm etc.

If they had have "impounded" you on your mooring, what are they going to do? Set up a 24/7 watch to make sure you don't sail away in the dead of the night?

By gosh we have a bunch of idiots that run our councils.

This is not meant to be funny. Local Govt. bureaucrats have neatly turned the tables on the long suffering ratepayers and now the situation is that we are here to serve them. Via rates,fees,user fees compliance and of course should you not pay they can sell you up.The only secured taxation (rates) there is.

If they had have "impounded" you on your mooring, what are they going to do? Set up a 24/7 watch to make sure you don't sail away in the dead of the night?

By gosh we have a bunch of idiots that run our councils.

I was at anchor, not on my mooring, I would have run out of food by now!!  ;-)

Anyone interested in watching an Empire being built keep an eye on the NRC. They've been at it since they were almost made redundant 10 or so years  ago, with their brief to be given to the local councils. There seems to be little accountability and as I have found there seems to be no one able / prepared to explain the science behind their decisions.

They had a referendum (re what they are doing, and their desire to levy (tax) boat owners to cover the costs of doing whatever it is that they are doing)  a while back that came back approximately 80% against them, rather than accepting that the people were not going along with them, they said that everyone who "didn't" vote must have been happy with the status quo and therefore were considered to have voted for it. Democracy at its best??? Yeah right.

Kerikeri Cruising Clubs own news letter:

""Mediterranean Fanworm has been found last week on a licensee ’ s boat when it was haulout for maintenance at Opua. The Fanworm on the vessel were mature & the vessel had been coming & going from our marina. The marina is being checked for Fanworm now itself. This incident highlights our individual responsibility to keep antifoul effective, & to haul out & clean boat hulls if a boat visits infested locations (anywhere south of Tutukaka is a good rule). The cost of clearing the marina of an infestation is unknown … & not something we ever want to be faced with"

"Coming and going" refers to their marina not Opua. It's available online.

Who's "stray horse" by the way?

An article in todays Advocate re a current attempt to eradicate the worm from Opua Marina. There is a pic of a hull with considerable worm hanging of it. The impression is that the hull was pulled out in Opua.? Between the NRC and Bio security NZ they are spending $160.000 in the attempt. Lucky contractor getting an xmas pressy. No mention of Te Puna inlet or the Keri Keri yacht club.

An article in todays Advocate re a current attempt to eradicate the worm from Opua Marina. There is a pic of a hull with considerable worm hanging of it. The impression is that the hull was pulled out in Opua.? Between the NRC and Bio security NZ they are spending $160.000 in the attempt. Lucky contractor getting an xmas pressy. No mention of Te Puna inlet or the Keri Keri yacht club.

That boat was found just out from Russell boating club. Forget who told me but they are wasting money fighting the inevitable. All its going to do is delay or slow it.