#1 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:08 AM

"Each day, on average six people make ACC claims for injures on Lime Scooters - 392 in Auckland and Christchurch between October 14 and December 12 this year."

https://www.nzherald...jectid=12177613

Its about now that a few regulations are going to be thrown around in council meeting rooms I think, this is an interesting scenario where overnight a high risk activity has been introduced to the masses. People by all accounts love them, I am ambivalent although a few times someone has gone full speed down a marina seems a bit dangerous. Theres been a some near misses on the footpaths too. 

Will lime be paying high ACC levies I wonder?

#2 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:31 AM

A quick google and we see California has some interesting laws

You can use a scooter with any class of driver’s license in the state of California. You do not need a specific license for scooters; however, you will need to have a driver’s license. since electric scooters are street-legal vehicles, you do not need to carry license plates or get registered with the DMV.

While on the road as a rider, you will have to obey the same safety and traffic laws just like other vehicles. Nonetheless, there are a few scooter-specific limitations in California:

• Electric scooters should not be driven faster than 15 mph on the road.

• The driver is not allowed to carry any passenger(s).

• Just like other vehicles, electric scooter should not be used on sidewalks.

Scooters cannot be used on roads that have speed limits of more than 25mph unless there is a bike lane that can be used by scooter riders.

• The driver must wear a United States Department of Transportation-compliant helmet always while using the scooter.

The above regulations apply to standard electric scooters. On the other hand, mobility scooters can be driven up to 30mph on the road. Nonetheless, this law only applies to mobility scooters that are used by seniors or individuals with physical disabilities

I presume that the 25mph limit is our 50ks but not on footpaths?

#3 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:53 AM

Twit on the Harbour Bridge.

Attached File  C9FD49B5-B0FC-4365-A0B2-D8C7F8C45B0B.jpeg   47.68KB   0 downloads

#4 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:59 AM

By Jehovah that man has style

#5 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

Wait till the drunks get on them xmas eve after the work parties,Funny thing with them,even without logging on, you can go down hill but the beeping drives you mad 

Would of thought they would lock automatically if not being paid for.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#6 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:33 AM

Limey Einstein just about beats the cyclist I encountered a while back in a similar location.
Rang the coppers and was informed yes they knew of him and asked had he made it to the top yet.
Does Lime pay any local taxes to mitigate the cost of accidents and human repairs.

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:02 AM

Does Lime pay any local taxes to mitigate the cost of accidents and human repairs.

No, payments get processed through an offshore account, just like google and the other mobs way smarter than the entire combined NZ government.

A 6-7year kid got fully nailed by one in that now cluster fornication that is the Westhaven roundabout yesterday. Looked to have a serious head wound. The scooter rider was fine.

#8 raz88

raz88

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:32 AM

No, payments get processed through an offshore account, just like google and the other mobs way smarter than the entire combined NZ government.

A 6-7year kid got fully nailed by one in that now cluster fornication that is the Westhaven roundabout yesterday. Looked to have a serious head wound. The scooter rider was fine.

That roundabout is a disaster for many reasons. Sooner or later someone's going to get driven over by a car.
Sad as the child getting run over is, and not knowing the circumstances of that particular incident, it's probably more due to the design of the roundabout and crossing than the scooter itself.

#9 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:50 AM

That roundabout is a disaster for many reasons. Sooner or later someone's going to get driven over by a car.
Sad as the child getting run over is, and not knowing the circumstances of that particular incident, it's probably more due to the design of the roundabout and crossing than the scooter itself.

There are many crashes and bashs down there and we have zero reason to doubt your statement someone will be mowed down. In fact I said the very same to a group of Panukus in a meeting 3 weeks ago.

Last week I was bringing a 6mt RIB in and had to cross the 'green mile' as it's been tagged (see Tom Hanks movie for why) and a cyclist rode, at pace, straight into the side of it then unleashed a pile of high volume obscenities for being on his path. He got told very un-politely to fornicate off to Spec Savers.

Westhaven is fast catching Queenstown in the list of dangerous activities available.

#10 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

And wait until the seal gets on a lime

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users