Navman plotter

Navman are quite old and the price you paid for the charts leads me to think they will have 3D depth etc that the old Nav won't display. Soon is the time to be jolly as all the post Xmas bargains come out next month so track down a decent SIMRAD or Lawrence MFD. If you get the "gofree" wifi doover, its great with smart phones being able to plot waypoints from the bunk with a beer and better still, it can connect to wifi hotspots to update charts and firm wear. Go c-map, in my opinion far superior, we have both and not impressed with Navionics attitude. Navionics turns their "features" off if you don't give'm $160 a year!

Bit of life left in the Navman but one day. Whats best? Replace with another plotter or go the ipad route? (31' yacht,not worried about hooking into the tillerpilot, and the fishing functions on a plotter not for me)

Why would you buy lowrance or simrad for a yacht.

These two labels, along with B&G,and cmap, are all owned by navico.

Lowrance is aimed at trailerable power vessels.

Simrad at launches and fishing boats

B&G is sailboats. Even though the cases of multiple brands are shared, the software and features are different.

IPads are a good backup and mobile tool on board, but I would not use one as a primary nav system. They are to fragile, crap in sunlight, go flat, not waterproof (Even in a case not waterproof when charging) etc.

Proper nav mfd, like the b&G Vulcan, are about the same price as an iPad anyway.

• Upvote 1

Why would you buy lowrance or simrad for a yacht.

These two labels, along with B&G,and cmap, are all owned by navico.

Lowrance is aimed at trailerable power vessels.

Simrad at launches and fishing boats

B&G is sailboats. Even though the cases of multiple brands are shared, the software and features are different.

IPads are a good backup and mobile tool on board, but I would not use one as a primary nav system. They are to fragile, crap in sunlight, go flat, not waterproof (Even in a case not waterproof when charging) etc.

Proper nav mfd, like the b&G Vulcan, are about the same price as an iPad anyway.

Point taken but he never mentioned yacht and we do loads of fishing (more catching would be nice...), the price was right, Simrad after sales service is awesome and the NSS7 EVO2 works like a charm. I 'spose anything that isn't raymarine is a good start!

Agree, and the run of the mill plotter/sounder so much of your money is going for fishing functions, that I as a yachty do not care about. Just want depth and dont care if there are fish down there.

Agree, and the run of the mill plotter/sounder so much of your money is going for fishing functions, that I as a yachty do not care about. Just want depth and dont care if there are fish down there.

I wont be down there anyway.

I'm over here, silly.

No good using lectronics to find me, unless you're the GCSB

I’ve been running two Navman 5500 for some years on inside and one out and find them good , but the screnes are getting small now but navionics on phone seams to be good but small to see some times that’s why I am heading to the iPad , there is some good protected kits for using them out side but hard to see in daylight. ,