Diesel filtration etc

Guest 000

Talking to my supervisor today regarding water in fuel,yes there is a bit in fuel but should not be detectable,if it is then the owners of the tank are not turning it off soon enough(trip switch failure)30000lt tank last 3000 lts tank should switch off as this is the water table,in general tanks get sucked clean every 2 yrs.

I did tanker work for a while (hookers) and there is a standard to do with water suspension. That is the amount of unseparated water in the fuel where it remains in suspension. I've said this before, you wont see the water at the pump. It takes months if not years to separate which is why boats and some stationary engines get water in the tank (some through condensation too) as opposed to truck and car tanks which are getting filled regularly. Diesel will freeze at a lower temperature than ether type fuels partly due to water content. I believe JET-A1 even has water in it but at a very low level. I have the parts now but yet to install a circulating filtration pump and filters water separator which hopefully will keep what water there is in the tank in suspension and whatever condensation that has separated gets removed....fingers crossed.

Not sure if your ment to or knot but last time I did it I dumped it into the waste oil recycling container at the marina.

Diesel is oil after all isn’t it.

I think that that’s a no-no. There is a big sign beside the drum making it quite clear. I recall the recycler saying the biggest risk to them is the amount of petrol/diesel/thinners and other volatile fluids that get put in their drums. Apparently they heat the oil to distill the water out before the next stages of recycling (whatever that is).

But thinking about that I might call them to see if they want it.

I would think it is far better to put waste diesel in the used oil collection thanks than anything else you can think of.

The options are:

1) down the stormwater drain

2) down the loo

3) pour onto some ground somewhere

Either way you are contaminating the environment with hydrocarbons, even down the loo (it all ends up in the sea, wastewater treatment doesn't remove hydrocarbons, it removes your poos).

Unless you can incinerate it somehow, but considering its got water and gunk in it, I doubt that would be effective.

Putting it in a plastic bottle and out with the trash will just cause leachate at the landfill, i.e. contaminate the environment some more.

The oil recycling is an industrial process designed to cope with removing impurities from hydrocarbons...

The crowd that pump your tank out when you pickup the wrong hose at the fuel seller (it’s self service so no service station any more) maybe you can take it to them ?

They must recycle it or something from fish’s list

I think that that’s a no-no. There is a big sign beside the drum making it quite clear. I recall the recycler saying the biggest risk to them is the amount of petrol/diesel/thinners and other volatile fluids that get put in their drums. Apparently they heat the oil to distill the water out before the next stages of recycling (whatever that is).

But thinking about that I might call them to see if they want it.

I took it to the Oil recycler (Waste Mangement in Tauranga) and they reluctantly took it for me. I’m not sure if they would have if it was a smaller amount. Mine was 22 liters mostly diesel (I.e. not too much water).