Found! Instructions for getting epoxy to bond well with stainless. Anyone know an easier way?

This from the smooth on website:

1. Degrease with trichloroethylene.

2. Etch with concentrated hydrochloric or muriatic acid for 15 minutes at room temperature or with a solution consisting of 90 parts water, 40 parts 96% sulfuric acid, and 0.2 parts Nacconol NR (National Aniline) for 10 minutes at 150° F. followed by 10 minutes at room temperature in a solution consisting of 90 parts water, 15 parts 70% nitric acid, and 2 parts 48% hydrofluoric acid.

3. Rinse in hot distilled water and dry with hot air.

Does anyone know if just rough sanding and cleaning with acetone will work well?

Put your epoxy on the sandpaper and rub it into the s/s is what I do. Especially for aluminium- the idea is to prevent exposure to oxygen in the air.

That sounds like a really cunning plan.

I'm going now to my workshop to try it out. Will abrade the stainless first with 320grit wet and dry paper and then wipe with acetone.

Done it.

Wiped with acetone, abraded, wiped again. Wore rubber gloves so as not to contaminate the prepared surfaces, applied epoxy resin via your system to stainless and alloy test pieces.

I'll give it 24 hours before attacking with a screwdriver.