Sailing shoes

Grinna

OK, I'm curious as to what all you guys wear on your feet when sailing.

I've tried seaboots and while they're great when its cold and wet, they get hot and real smelly very quickly if its anything warmer. I've had the leather slip-on docksiders and they've never been particularly grippy on the deck or secure on the feet. I would try a pair of the athletic type sailing shoes that are around except that the prices on them make your eyes go wide and suck air thru your teeth. The alternatives are crocs or something like them (if you don't mind looking like an escaped mental patient) or cheap Warehouse sneakers with a non-marking sole that probably won't last very long.

My real preference is to go barefoot, but that usually ends up with blood on the deck at some point.

So, what's the go?

i prefer ronstan skiff boots. they are soft sole so you can still get a good footing on the fordeck while heeled over and they also have a toe divider in between the big toe and the....other smaller one. apparently that also helps your balance. problem is they dont let water in so they end up smelling really bad and they stink out bruce's car while hes dropping you home

Boat Bits in Takapuna have a range to suit all budgets and often have some good stuff on big discount due to style or colour change. I got a pair of Aigle lace ups half price this time last year and they are great.

They have a website too.

I used to have a pair of Globe street shoes that I wore. Non marking, grippy as hell, and gave their life to the cause. 'Upgraded' to a pair of Helly Hansens and really wish I hadn't.

The grip is average, at best - on Demonstrator's deck they're ok, but that's more due to the awesome deck on the boat. On Thunder which has decent deck paint, they're iffy. I don't feel I can actually trust them, and for the price deeply disappointed.

Of course I never took Helly Hansen up on why a pair of street casual shoes at $150 are better than their 'sailing' shoes at $250, so really shouldn't complain too much!

ancient running shoes are good -- good grip, and good ventilation with all those extra holes!

crocs are also quite good, esp if you're on a swing and need to get your feet wet launching the dinghy. not stylish, as you say, but... whatever.

Purchased some Chatham boots in the UK about 7 years ago and they are still going. They are leather / goretex equivalent (like Dubarry) but cost about $200 rather than $500. Warm and breathable with no sweaty feet or smell. If money is no object, Dubarry's are the go - but can't believe how much they want for them here in NZ compared to the UK or Ireland.

I have had the neoprean skiff booties... they are good but stink so bad the boys down the back can smell them whilst I am on the bow :oops:

Cheap boots, they stink.... just dont breathe

I now have HH Hydropower shoes which are fantastic, have to wear socks though. Make sure that you wear any shoes in as they genarally have mould release agent on the soles which isnt good for grip. Boot wise I have Aigle uber dooper boots, they are mint for those cold days and are breathable and have awesome grip, all form Mike at Gearlocker!

I've bought a brilliant set from here for the Hobie:

Soft tread that grips like snot and snug warm, i'm not too worried about the keeping feet dry bit as you don't sail a Hobie to stay dry! To be honest I throw them in a bag and forget about them and not noticed any smell. 100 bucks, made of strong stuff than the warehouse.

http://www.theboardshop.co.nz/welcome

post-10449-141887166983_thumb.gif

Archived