Photo

East or West Coast? Auckland to Wellington...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Adams

Adams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

PASSAGE COMPLETED.

We had a great passage on the EAST coast, 6 days Sun - Sat (17/2/19 - 23/2/19) with a stopover sleep and morning/afternoon break at Mahia Peninsula in Hawke Bay.The weather window was perfect, mostly sailing with northerlies although we had a fair bit of motoring but that is okay. We were very aware of the looming low on Sunday 24/2 which a week before had (incorrectly) been predicted to be an ex-cyclone, TC OMA. The northerlies were perfect. The Southerlies kicked in a few hours too early on morning of Saturday (3 am) approaching Cape Palliser so on the nose and even had to tack a few times! Then it pushed us into Wellington. Mostly uneventful but never before have I had seaweed foul a prop...twice! Once near Port Jackson on first night (a huge branch of the black stuff with bubbles on it) so pulled into there to sleep and swim down to remove in the morning. Second at Mahia Peninsula as approaching the narrow passage between main peninsula and the island on way to an anchorage to slow down a day to synch with southerlies. Thick dark green leather-like weed wrapped around prop hub. It lowered revs initially and slowed speed from 5 to 3 kn.

We used Windy predominantly but also Predictwind, when in phone range. I had two other crew.

I am glad we took the East coast but would recommend only if weather data is monitored and the window was favourable. I can see how southerlies after East Cape could be a problem (eg, Cape Turnagain is well-named).

Cheers!

#32 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:26 PM

Nice.. that should keep you on a high for awhile!

There has been a lot of weed around since those big easterly swells week before last. I found myself weaving around the bigger clumps on my way back to Tauranga. Thanks for the update 👍

#33 Adams

Adams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

Nice.. that should keep you on a high for awhile!

There has been a lot of weed around since those big easterly swells week before last. I found myself weaving around the bigger clumps on my way back to Tauranga. Thanks for the update

Thanks for the insight on the availability of weed! Years sailing around Pacific Islands and around New Zealand waters...never once weed fouled my prop. It's a folding prop. And it's new (but has Propspeed). Maybe one of those rope cutter attachments would help. Or maybe a good few revs in reverse or a good wetsuit are in order.

#34 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:40 AM

You should always have the gear available to clear a fouled prop. It is unusual for weed though, normally weed is more of an issue on keels, rudders or skegs.
I've had to go swimming 7 times....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#35 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:42 AM

You should always have the gear available to clear a fouled prop. It is unusual for weed though, normally weed is more of an issue on keels, rudders or skegs.
I've had to go swimming 7 times....

What gear would you consider necessary IT? Anything other than a knife and a wetsuit if cold? I have read about the shaft fitted rope cutters that seem to be more of a necessity in uk etc.

#36 Adams

Adams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

Nice discussion of prop rope cutters here:
https://www.yachting...tter-test-30012

#37 double n

double n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationtauranga

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:06 AM

Three times in last two weeks between Barrier and Tauranga had weed foul prop. Never happened before. There was large clumps all over the place as result of big swells. Have folding 3 blade prop. Each time was able to clear by going to neutral to try to fold prop then hit reverse to the extent of making boat back up. Then back to forward. Each time prop cleared. This on sail drive. I think the weed folds around sail drive and you need to back up to remove it.

#38 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,033 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 01 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

Yep, but if a simple reverse fixes it it's most likely around the leg, not the prop. Backup first, its easier.
When the prop is properly fouled it can actually stop the engine!
Nylon lines can melt together, and be hard to remove. A good, proper rope cutting knife (I use a Gerber with special rope cutting serrations) is almost essential. In warm water, just a harness, mask fins and snorkel. Wetsuit if needed. Last time was a fishing platform and line, 1/2 way between Tahiti and Hawaii, in the middle of the night...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users