28 replies to this topic

#1 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:50 AM

Hi all, I am wanting to put a laptop in my boat for chartplotting etc. What is the best way to provide power? I don’t have an inverter at this stage and I know they are very inefficient especially so as I would be converting 12-13v to 240v and then back down to 16v.

#2 Cazzate

Cazzate

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:09 AM

Not really a solution to your power problem but maybe a tablet would be easier ? Most can charge off 12V.

I use an iPad to run navionics , works a treat and very portable and easy to use with touch screen

#3 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:25 AM

I recently got a 12V 95W powr supply from Jaycar.  It runs the laptop OK, and will charge if laptop is off or in sleep.  

#4 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:26 AM

Before I started using an iPad for mostly all nav I went down this road
Tried 300w inverter but as you say not very efficient
Then managed to find a laptop that actually ran on 12v but these aren’t easy to find and limit your options
If I was to do it now would try something like this. https://www.ebay.com...r-/301916994954
The best sailors do it two handed

#5 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,209 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

Get a car charger (DC to DC converter) for your laptop. Easy and efficient. If you read what the output is on the mains charger (like 19v 2a or whatever) you can match that with the car charger. Any decent computer store, jaycar, etc

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#6 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

Thank you... I wasn’t sure there was such a thing. I will check out Jaycar at the weekend.

#7 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

I got a 12v car charger for a HP laptop on the boat - works great.

I think I got it from PB Tech - be careful about the el cheapo ones from Jaycar.

The one I got also has two USB ports on it. very handy.

Edited by bigal.nz, 11 January 2019 - 07:59 PM.

#8 eruptn

eruptn

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationRotorua

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

An IPad with the 3G is hard to beat, can be charged from 12V. Runs the Navionics, or Garmin Bluecharts etc. There are also some good options on power packs too.

Ross 650 Farr 940

#9 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:49 AM

We have a Samsung tab A, does the phone as well as bluetooth to the battery monitor, wifi to the MFD email and annoying people on this website. Bloody thing has come close to sleeping with the fishes a few times but would be lost without it. As Eruptn says. Best thing is they have no power hungry inverter power supply. Incidentally, put a 3 amp fuse in your laptop power unit on the OUTPUT as they are not protected for some reason.
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#10 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

Thanks all. Personally not a fan of tablets. I have had a play with a few and have found the small, smudged, hard to see touch screens tend to annoy me. I have a small gps/plotter in both the cockpit and the cabin but the laptop will give me proper plotting ability and a bigger screen to look at. Hopefully power consumption isn’t too excessive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users