28 replies to this topic

#21 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

My laptop in the day ran straight of the 12 volt no probs even tho it was rated for max volts 17 , 12 volt try it

It will likely run because laptops and computers internally regulate to 12v nominal.   However, I doubt it would charge the battery properly, even though the batteries will be 3 paralleled lithium cells [either Lithium-Ion or lithium polymer] and they have a charged voltage of 12.6v [4.2 v per cell] the charging circuit would require 16 + volts to supply decent current for the absorption phase of charging.

#22 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

It will likely run because laptops and computers internally regulate to 12v nominal.   However, I doubt it would charge the battery properly, even though the batteries will be 3 paralleled lithium cells [either Lithium-Ion or lithium polymer] and they have a charged voltage of 12.6v [4.2 v per cell] the charging circuit would require 16 + volts to supply decent current for the absorption phase of charging.

It might boot OK but they run on 19v for a reason. Drop the voltage and the wattage stays the same so you are drawing more current. Not a good idea. Your laptop will cook if you don't give it additional cooling then that defeats the idea?
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#23 Zozza

Zozza

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:01 AM

Would this work?

http://www.bixnet.co...c120uc28m1.html

Attached File  adapter.PNG   256.03KB   0 downloads

#24 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:59 AM

Thats it. Just check that the plug is going to fit your laptop, theres lots of different sizes.
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#25 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,519 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

Then cut the stupid lighter socket plug off, and put on a decent one, or wire directly. Don’t forget the fuse!
Never heard of that brand though. You might be better with an established brand - one you’ve heard of, or belkin...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#26 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:45 AM

Ours has lasted years (jaycar?) A "projecta". Probably can't get them anymore.

Attached Files

#27 Sabre

Sabre

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

Yep that looks the go. Still haven’t made it to PB tech yet, too busy fitting my home made removable prod amongst other things. Too many projects not enough time but getting there.

I will definitely be hard wiring it.. those Ciggy plugs seem to wriggle loose evertime you look away!

My laptop has an 11.1v battery so does that mean it will run on 11.1v but needs more to charge? The ac adaptor is 16v.

#28 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,519 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:20 AM

It needs the 16v to charge properly

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#29 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

Yep that looks the go. Still haven’t made it to PB tech yet, too busy fitting my home made removable prod amongst other things. Too many projects not enough time but getting there.

I will definitely be hard wiring it.. those Ciggy plugs seem to wriggle loose evertime you look away!

My laptop has an 11.1v battery so does that mean it will run on 11.1v but needs more to charge? The ac adaptor is 16v.

And dangerous! IT is dead right, if the connection is not good they will heat up something shocking. You won't notice it until the cabin starts filling with smoke. Small loads no problem, but run about 3 amps and up with a bad connection and they soon get very hot. Those white plugs in that photo are what we use "fuseable link" plugs. Simple, reliable and easy to fit. Not sure why they are called that as there isn't a fuse in them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users