Gas stove issue

Having a gas bottle in the cabin is a risk I'd never take. It is WAY more dangerous than a couple of gas line crimps.

All crimps and joints should be tested with soapy water when made, and periodically when in use.

Use a proper gas detector as well, always on.

Why. Please explain. How do you get your 9kg to the boat? On the roof of the car?

I don't. My gas bottle locker does not fit a 9kg, I use two 4.5s

A 9kg is not hard to move, standard bbq bottle. Transport while disconnected is not the same as storage or use.

The gas regs you were on about before with the crimps, expressly forbid gas bottle storage or use in a confined space - caravan, boat, whatever. This is for a good reason.

Gas bottles when full can vent, even if the valve is shut. The most likely leak is at the valve, where the regulator is fitted (normally), in the high pressure side, before the reg. This is the best source of gas for a serious fire or explosion, as there is a lot of fuel available very quickly. A slightly damaged O ring in the reg can also cause a small leak. LPG and butane are both heavier than air, and will sit in the bilge until....

Then a LOT of people with gas heaters in their homes are not only breaking the law but living dangerously!!!?? If the bottle is leaking through the high pressure relief valve, the boat is already on fire. We use "swapabottles" which are regularly inspected, it's in a ventilated area, a gas detector and my nose. It's never left on unlike a lot sitting in gas lockers "it's raining, won't worry about going out and turning off the gas tonight, do it in the morning". When at any filling station you will see cars. Not utes but cars and where are they putting the gas bottles? In the back, either in the boot or open the hatch. Most roll about (why the valves are protected). A lot then spend the day shopping, gas bottle sitting in the hot sun. I wonder how many cars carrying gas bottles have been rear ended that have exploded? Never heard of any.

CH your average living room is never going to encounter knock downs and severe pitching so that example is void of reason.

Each to his own as they say but I will not be taking you up for the kind offer to spend the evening aboard your yacht shooting the breeze about the safety of distilling and consuming alcohol and gas leak containment strategies.

• Upvote 1

Just as easy to knock the gas knob on your stove as one kid did at Marsden Cove setting off their gas alarm. Our paranoia level seems to be lower than a lot of others. I have a current DG and class 5 doing tanker work around Akl a few years ago so yes the dangers are there but so is rational commonsense. Priscilla, sorry I dont remember inviting you?

I remember when way back in the day that infested all aspects of life but these days it seems to be in shorter supply than Aussie women with accents that don't want to make you chop your todger off.

You've lost me there so I bow to your greater knowledge of todger removal.

Just to close off what started this thread - had a gas man come today and replace the high pressure hose and install a new regulator. Darn if the stove doesnt go twice as well as before. Thanks to all those that suggested replacing the regulator.