Going back from Cat to mono, just for coastal cruising?

Going to sell the family Caravan on water (no its not that bad, its one of the lighter ones so can sail upwind lol) and downgrade to a Mono for just myself and the Mrs.

I really want to use a LOT of the cash from the sale for our retirement fund, but at the same time I dont want to buy something old in need of work.

Im thinking 100-150K~ 32ft+, can be sailed single handed and electronically from the cockpit, must have a wheel, tillers are for dinghies. Something that can handle offshore conditions but be very comfy inside the living areas. If I had the money Id buy a Amel Super Maramu but thats 2/3 the cost of the cat haha.

I think I want something as new as possible, not some stinky old seating and moldy cabins haha.

I realise there isnt a lot for that money but if I can get as close to 20 years and younger as possible the better.

Any ideas?

can be sailed single handed and electronically from the cockpit, must have a wheel, tillers are for dinghies. 

You lost me with  "tillers are for dinghies".

Maybe you should be in the market for a stinkpot.

I've never heard of a yacht that can be sailed electronically, accept maybe those 1 m RC ones. Especially not in the 20 yr age bracket and the budget mentioned. I'm sure some superyachts have glass bridges etc, Some of the latest Euro imports can sail and tack on AP alone, but you'd be lucky to get change out of $3/4 of a mil (and are targeted at people who don't know how to sail)

But as for the 'tillers are for dinghies', you did say 32 ft plus... a wheel is a major waste of time and space in that size range. Possibly legit once you start getting around the 40 ft size.

But I think Pracilla has hit it. I've always thought wheels are for people who can't really sail. What you are describing is a stink pot. You can get a fair bit of boat for your money in that budget for a stink pot. The big variable is age and condition of the engine. But for cruising with you and the Mrs, you could get loads of boat.

You lost me with "tillers are for dinghies".

Maybe you should be in the market for a stinkpot.

I dont have a tiller on our dinghy!?? I do on our keeler. Always know my rudder settings and can change rudder angle rapidly. It folds up out of the way. Adds to the washing line on laundry days. The bait board clamps to it and doubles as a cockpit table. Only needs a removable tiller pilot to have "electronic" (or is that chronic) stearing. Old boats are about the same as a new boat getting old for maintanance time and costs. Old kauri keelers are getting harder to find, good ones, and have a "warmness" about them compared to your plastic fantastic. Hand built or out of a mold? Nothing like a double diagonal stinkpot!

Agree. Hmmph, amateurs!

attachicon.gif VOR.jpg

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

Those Volvo's are a dog of a design.

Check out what they are going to for the next Volvo though, faster, less crew, less water on deck, good cockpit protection, oh and the IMOCA's don't have wheels either...

WEB_Aerial-shot-of-Vendee-Globe-yacht-Hugo-Boss-skippered-by-Alex-Thomson-off-the-Kerguelen-Islands.-Credit-Marine-Nationale_Nefertiti_Vendee-Globe-2.jpg

4aa5358c4a23550744a57e8e1b8ef0f9-route-du-rhum-jeremie-beyou-charal-fait-demi-tour.jpg

On the wheel thing I can definitely see the appeal in a bigger boat. Interesting that kiwis in general just don’t like them where as Europeans love them. Probably a little impractical on my 26fter....

I prefer the direct feedback, the simplicity of maintenance and repair and the ability to have more space in the cockpit that a tiller allows for plus with an extension it means I can steer from more positions including tucked up under the dodger if need be but that's just me.

• Upvote 1

For me under 40ft a tiller and wheel for bigger where the loss of cockpit space can be mitigated.

A lot depends on the helm loads specific to the design.

Nothing more annoying and exhausting than having a heavy helm with a tiller.

Used to sail Grand Prix the Davidson 47 and loved the wheel.

The new floating shoe boxes with his and hers wheels at a long distance glance of envy actually offer a walkthrough layout as long as your arse is many axe handles wide.

206A7AB6-0621-4434-8F0F-8F41AB638689.png

CF19ECCB-1278-405B-974A-50758A6FF92D.jpeg

on smaller, older, and generally narrow yachts I can see the attraction of a tiller.  On more modern wider yachts I think they become less appealing.  1020's with tillers, 1220's with wheels, but an old narrow stern make the wheel on a 1220 a pain to get past etc.  Just look at the beam on that modern yacht with plenty of space to get past and easy steering sitting out on the edge.

I like the fact that even a larger yacht like a Bestevaer 53ST can still be had with a tiller butI must admit I would be interested in trying whipstaff steering which can still have a tiller extension and use a tillerpilot.

Bestevaer 53ST.jpg 

Whipstaff Tiller Steering 1.png

Whipstaff Tiller Steering with Tiller Autopilot.jpg

on smaller, older, and generally narrow yachts I can see the attraction of a tiller.  On more modern wider yachts I think they become less appealing.  1020's with tillers, 1220's with wheels, but an old narrow stern make the wheel on a 1220 a pain to get past etc.  Just look at the beam on that modern yacht with plenty of space to get past and easy steering sitting out on the edge.

Twin tillers?

Twin Tillers.jpg

Do I have to get out my wheel steering pic again??

It might help balance the arguement in favour of wheels... everyone has been pro tillers so far.

It's always good to have some balance on the forum VP ;-)