Photo

How do I bend on a furling genoa in the wind?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

Trying to feed the genoa bolt rope into the aluminium slot and haul it to the top in the wind proved too hard yesterday afternoon. Any ideas? Or do I wait for another day with no wind.

#2 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

Can be hard by one self if bolt rope is tight,does furler have a feeder or just straight in to slot??i have found it takes 2 and normally main up,sail down wind and it feeds in nicely but depends on sail/yacht size.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#3 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,989 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

Are you certain that it's the right size luff tape? Some are only 1mm different...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#4 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

Are you certain that it's the right size luff tape? Some are only 1mm different...

Good point. Our profurl is (odd?) 6mm. Make sure you get the foot attached before winching the halyard tight or you can pull the top bearing off...like I did! One on the bow feeding it on and a can of silicon spray the other on the winch.
""Some ships are designed to sinkā€¦ others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#5 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

Tough one, still a work in progress.

Over 10knt delta and I struggle.

I have to do it head to wind with sail luff tape nicely flaked below foil other wise it jams in foil.

And I run the gennie halyard around mast winch as a block standing under foil and keep my foot on the flakes to release.

On AP of course. Furlex B mk2

Must try DDW at WOT.

#6 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:11 AM

Straight slot. No feeder. Goes up pretty well in the calm so I'm guessing the sizing is right. I tried loops around the bunt and foil as I raised every metre or so to keep the bunt from blowing out, but the pressure was still too great in the small amount of sail exposed to the wind. I thought of wool loops but haven't tried them. I'll try the downwind option.

#7 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,989 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Genoa feeder?Attached File  sctl120501.jpg   37.77KB   3 downloads

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#8 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

Genoa feeder?attachicon.gif sctl120501.jpg

I don't know what a genoa feeder is, but that pic looks just like 'monkey nuts'.

#9 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

Ta for all the hints. The track opening is quite close to the drum on my boat, making life hard. But I may be able to rig a pre-feeder. Here's a video of someone using it.

#10 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

I have a feeder on my main, which is also boltrope, and it works very well. Mines riveted on between the gooseneck and track

If I don't use it and are more than 10 degrees off head to wind I get exactly the same as Kevin does, a sail that does not want to play nice which get called all manner of adjectives. The more wind there is the more I need the feeder and to be head to wind.

Bionic Monkeys or escapees from some experimental lab maybe??? Just trying to think what Monkeys Fish has been perving at to garner a comment like that ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users