What is this for?

Okay,  the boat came with a spinnaker pole.   I know what that is/does/can be used for....but I have another pole that came with the boat, that I have no idea what it is for?   See pictures of the ends below....a hook and pulley at one ends and a normal pole attachment at the other.   

Any ideas?

extra pole 1.JPG

extra pole 3.JPG

extra pole 2.JPG

if its quite a short one, i thought they could be used when the pole was right forward on the forestay.  The Whisker pole went out at right angles on the mast to give the guy some angle on the main pole

• Upvote 2

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

So if I am going cruising and I currently have no spinnaker [on the purchase list] would I be best to purchase an asymmetric and or is there still a valid reason for an symmetric spinnaker and keeping the jockey/whisker pole?  I would learn to use it,  so not worried about that aspect and I plan to cruise to the tropics and likely a downwind route until I run out of cash.

For cruisers..

The best use for a whisker pole is to pole out your genoa when running down wind and just off..., to stop it doing the "stingray"

...and if you dont know what that means..just have a look at the front section of a stingrays "wing" when it moves through the water  :-) .

Try it ..you will love it. 

ps..beautiful versions were made for just that job in either spruce or bamboo in the past. super light, and just strong enough so that they would break if to much strain came on the rig while the skipper may or may not have been having a quick nap.....

Er, how does a stubby little jockey pole that just makes past the caps work as a Genoa or jib whiskey pole? Poling a Genoa needs nearly as much length as a kite pole, more like say 100% of the J is good, so you can leave it in its mast fitting and the beak on the deck by the stem.

With my old 70s dip pole gybe and jockey pole boat, I just use the kite pole and vector the length using the pole track, its 'kin wonderful....roll up the jib with the pole still on, set it anything from full out to 3 or 4 ft of sail to control speed. Cruising is about arriving when you want to, often that means slowing down.

• Upvote 1

Spinnakers are still useful unless you have a real high performance boat. Still best for sailing deep. Asymmetrics for reaching, so no need for a jockey pole.

I have both.

I don't have a real high performance boat its an early 80's IOR special from South Africa.     I have an old furling 140% Genoa that I plan to replace with a 100 - 120% depending on who is giving me the advice and either a Symmetric or an Asymmetric.  Currently, I sail wing on wing downwind or just take an as best angle as I can.  I could still somewhat pole out an Asymmetric for downwind?

I don't have a real high performance boat its an early 80's IOR special from South Africa.     I have an old furling 140% Genoa that I plan to replace with a 100 - 120% depending on who is giving me the advice and either a Symmetric or an Asymmetric.  Currently, I sail wing on wing downwind or just take an as best angle as I can.  I could still somewhat pole out an Asymmetric for downwind?

You mentioned cruising until you run out of money well you could get a head start by buying both a spinnaker and an A2, they are quite expensive sails plus you then have to store both. I would go for some sort of asymmetric and ditch the whisker pole, with that and the genoa you have plenty of options.

Cool! I have just joined this site because I've got one of these weird poles on my Cavalier 32.

So, just to be clear, the normal end is clipped to the brass loop (about a meter up the mast) and the other end sticks out at right angles so the windward spinnaker sheet can run through it when the spinnaker pole is pointing forward. Have a got that right? Also, will the whisker pole need to be supported with top, forward and aft lines?

These show the jocky pole been used with a spinaker guy ..... tight reaching (images stollen of net)

Jockey pole jockey pole jockey pole. Like erptn says. It's not a kin whisker pole.

Bottom photo it's upside down, probably why they have to velcro strap it to the cap shroud.