17 replies to this topic

#11 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,280 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:58 PM

Spinnakers are still useful unless you have a real high performance boat. Still best for sailing deep. Asymmetrics for reaching, so no need for a jockey pole.
I have both.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#12 idlerboat

idlerboat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:28 AM

For cruisers..

The best use for a whisker pole is to pole out your genoa when running down wind and just off..., to stop it doing the "stingray"

...and if you dont know what that means..just have a look at the front section of a stingrays "wing" when it moves through the water  :-) .

Try it ..you will love it. 

ps..beautiful versions were made for just that job in either spruce or bamboo in the past. super light, and just strong enough so that they would break if to much strain came on the rig while the skipper may or may not have been having a quick nap.....

There is only two substances..stuff and glue...and even glue is made of stuff,,
quote."MD"

#13 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:53 AM

Yup it's a whisker pole. Used to keep the brace off the side stay when shy reaching with a kite up.
Also very useful for poling out a genoa.
Hang onto it.

#14 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:07 AM

Er, how does a stubby little jockey pole that just makes past the caps work as a Genoa or jib whiskey pole? Poling a Genoa needs nearly as much length as a kite pole, more like say 100% of the J is good, so you can leave it in its mast fitting and the beak on the deck by the stem.
With my old 70s dip pole gybe and jockey pole boat, I just use the kite pole and vector the length using the pole track, its 'kin wonderful....roll up the jib with the pole still on, set it anything from full out to 3 or 4 ft of sail to control speed. Cruising is about arriving when you want to, often that means slowing down.

#15 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:39 AM

The whisker is only to give better angles on the brace when tight reaching. That better angle makes it easier to keep the pole off the forstay which then increases safety and reliability.  It's a geometry improving device. 

They are usually too short for poling anything out.

#16 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:11 AM

Spinnakers are still useful unless you have a real high performance boat. Still best for sailing deep. Asymmetrics for reaching, so no need for a jockey pole.
I have both.

I don't have a real high performance boat its an early 80's IOR special from South Africa.     I have an old furling 140% Genoa that I plan to replace with a 100 - 120% depending on who is giving me the advice and either a Symmetric or an Asymmetric.  Currently, I sail wing on wing downwind or just take an as best angle as I can.  I could still somewhat pole out an Asymmetric for downwind?

#17 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,280 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:10 AM

Yep. Wing and wing works, and can be reefed if you have roller furling. Asymmetrics still best for reaching. If I had only one, it'd be the A2.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#18 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

I don't have a real high performance boat its an early 80's IOR special from South Africa.     I have an old furling 140% Genoa that I plan to replace with a 100 - 120% depending on who is giving me the advice and either a Symmetric or an Asymmetric.  Currently, I sail wing on wing downwind or just take an as best angle as I can.  I could still somewhat pole out an Asymmetric for downwind?

You mentioned cruising until you run out of money well you could get a head start by buying both a spinnaker and an A2, they are quite expensive sails plus you then have to store both. I would go for some sort of asymmetric and ditch the whisker pole, with that and the genoa you have plenty of options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users