13 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

This morning I'll be fitting a spreader boot. The opposite side boot is taped around and around the spreader and has lasted for years. So I'm hoping for recommendations for anti-UV tape, or the best adhesive tape for the job.

#2 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

have you considered the shroud roller if to protect sail on spreader?

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#3 BMW56

BMW56

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:50 AM

Hi Kevin,

3M make some good outdoor quality tapes. There are various types depending on whether you need stretch, strength or self amalgamating properties. I suggest visiting an electrical wholesaler as they will carry the professional quality products and should be able to advise on which one to use. Be prepared to pay a bit more than your standard insulating tape from the local hardware shop.

#4 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

seem to recall a tape that stretched and stuck to itself,havent seen it for years but worked well,soft rubber type. 

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#5 Vorpal Blade

Vorpal Blade

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

You could use white UV sticky back, the stuff used for UV strips on sails. Lasts about 5 years.

for awesome custom made fabric products
http://www.coversandcanvas.co.nz

#6 Steve Pope

Steve Pope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

seem to recall a tape that stretched and stuck to itself,havent seen it for years but worked well,soft rubber type. 

Self amalgamating tape

#7 cj!

cj!

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

Self amalgamating tape

It's pretty good stuff to keep on hand. I used it repair a blown intercooler hose and it lasted a year before I got around to replacing the hose. 

#8 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Just so happens we have recently found a supply of it and do have some in stock now. Silicon self-adhesive. We use it to wrap shackles and things to minimise chafe in some applications.

Not too sure it's the best for Kevs application though. It could be but I have no idea what it's like with UV so it would be a bit of a punt. But now he's brought the subject up I'll use it on my spreader ends. I'll need something so why not give it a go and see, it sure won't be the only 'giving it a go' aboard her now. If Kev wants to trail it I'll send him a freebie reel and he can. At this stage we have 1.5 and 3mt reels, 24mm wide and only in black but we do have some colours on the way.

#9 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

40 or more years ago the old Post and Telegraph cable jointers used self amalgamating tape on those new-fangled plastic sheathed telephone cables. It was excellent stuff to have on the boat and totally melded together into a homogenous mass. The modern stuff doesn't seem to do that and in my opinion is nowhere near as good.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#10 eruptn

eruptn

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationRotorua

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

The self amalgamating  tape is designed for 'outdoor' use ....  it is reported to be heat-, sunlight-, and weather-resistant.

Ross 650 Farr 940

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users