#11 khayyam

khayyam

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Locationnorth shore

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

thanks. that's exactly what i was looking for but couldn't find!

#12 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Id rather have it tied up to a wharf/dolphin near where we dont go anyway, than blocking the harbour for all and sundry to have to pass

If I may in an effort to understand as many views as possible being a Representative not a decision maker with this one,

You comment 'where we don't go anyway'. Do you mean it's water YOU personally don't go into much or do you mean it's water ALL users of the harbour don't go into much?

I understand your blocking comment, one stop did cause me an big pile of arse, but if you had to go one way or the other would it be -

A: 4 - 6 stops a season mid stream, generally dawn to dusk. As the Ovation of the Seas did yesterday.

or B: Queens wharf sticking out 90mts more for at least 10 years maybe longer?

I must say canvassing views and info on all this has been utterly fascinating. We are in the presence of some very clever and wise NZers.

#13 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:57 AM

Other than occasionally fighting tide on race day, who goes near Princess or Queens wharf?

You have no need to, they have all but banned us all from the viaduct now anyway.

The fastest way to both Waiheke or north is to point at north head and go down the northern side, grabbing people fishing lines off devo in the process

I used the Admiralty steps once last year, after dark as we had a minor emergency. My crew were told off, photographed, threatened, and I got a letter smacking my hand that I was in a restricted area.

I struggle to see how a dolphin is going to effect anyone, which is not the same as agreeing there should be one, I just dont see how if will impact anyone. For Fullers to say it going to add time to its trips is just a complete load of horse sh*t

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#14 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

I struggle to see how a dolphin is going to effect anyone, which is not the same as agreeing there should be one, I just dont see how if will impact anyone. For Fullers to say it going to add time to its trips is just a complete load of horse sh*t

If this particular structure doesn't worry you personally, perhaps consider what will happen if this is green-flagged.  Basically it would provide a precedent and useful blueprint for taking more and more of the harbour.  At some stage you have to decide when enough is enough.

#15 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:13 AM

They are inside the boundaries they have been allocated.

Are those boundaries correct, well thats up for debate, but they are working within the boundaries they were given.

Can anyone honesty say the new container ship park impacts how they use the harbour?

Eye sore maybe, but direct impact on ones use... no hardly.

Im not here to defend the port, more to look at it in how these things effect me, which is what KM asked... and from where I sit, they don't.

Id rather have a dolphin, in part of the harbour that I dont use, then have a ship 7 days a year block my ability to sail/race down it

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#16 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

I should point out i have a vested interest in the port in that I own companies that move freight on and off the port. However I have no vested interest in cruise ships.

#17 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

It's not so much a PoA thing as a Council thing so I doubt your connection is anything vested like. If the PoA could be told what to do by the council, something they can't, then the dolphins wouldn't be needed. The plan is to make a dedicated cruise ship terminal but until the PoA have finished with Marsden or Cook that is not going to happen. 

The dolphins or options being presented next week, are a sort of stop gap measure until the PoA is ready to hand over the wharf.

But good feedback to put into the pot, Thanks V.

I bang the ends of the wharfs a lot, grab that tidal back eddy ;)

#18 twisty

twisty

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:22 AM

I suspect that once the mooring dolphin is in, the rest of the area enclosed by drawing a line from Wynard to Queens will become an exclusion zone as Poa slowly chip away at enlarging their empire

#19 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

I can assure you PoAL are very mindful of public opinion... and their political masters.

They are not simply land grabbing monsters trying to expand their empire...if they were they would have claimed to the boundary decades ago.

They are trying to put a square peg in a round hole, merging hostile masters and public in one hand, with inadequate space on the other, which in turn throttles growth and increases costs to shipping lines, transport companies, businesses and ultimately, consumers.

They are not perfect in any shape or form, and I clash with them over decisions they make on a regular basis, but they are also not blood sucking vampires intent on stealing the f**king harbour, no matter what the merchants of doom and death sometimes peddle both here and in the media.

Not quite sure how I ended up saying the above, but Im not deleting it and stand by it....!

The sooner it is moved the better...that is where the argument should be. They know, we know it...let get on with it 

That is all.

#20 muzled

muzled

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

The sooner it is moved the better...that is where the argument should be. They know, we know it...let get on with it 

That's interesting that they know they should move.  

And in comes the off topic thread drift...

Where do you think they should move to?  (or possibly more to the point, if they were to move, where would they like to move to?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users