233 replies to this topic

#31 waikiore

waikiore

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Do none of you read the Herald? Very well thought out report on this by one of the councils own planners last week

#32 dutyfree

dutyfree

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

Got a link?  I find the concept of well thought out and council planner to be an oxymoron.

#33 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:09 PM

Friends don't let friends read the Herald.

#34 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

Attached File  qm2.jpg   11.17KB   0 downloadsThe qm2 is 1132ft and did not need a dolphin in fact she never stuck out past the wharf ,I know she is not largest but the largest ship is only 1188 ft 

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#35 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:49 PM

POAL are a busines, profit above anything else. A little protest on the water holding up a few cruise ships before the hearing should alter a busines case.

Easy way to incease the ballance sheet, just grab more harbour for free.

#36 rigger

rigger

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

4. Manukau
a. Not the shippers preference
b. Need for ongoing dredging of the bar (not a major apparently)
c. Channel is 24m deep all the way to Onehunga

My preference is for 4, as it is going to the cheapest, fastest, have less impact on all sorts of things, and fits closest into existing infrastructure and areas where the freight hubs already exist. It will also result in less people dying when they fall asleep and slide under the front of one of my trucks.
But that is just my opinion.
As to where they want to move it.. I havent yet asked that question... but I will once there is traction

b. dredging to say 18m deep to create a channel say 300m wide through an area that used to be about 5.6m deep a few years back.

c. channel to Onehunga had min depth a few years back of 3.2m, the papakura ch is deeper but gets shallower than 10m some 4nm from the LPG jetty

#37 rigger

rigger

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

attachicon.gif qm2.jpgThe qm2 is 1132ft and did not need a dolphin in fact she never stuck out past the wharf ,I know she is not largest but the largest ship is only 1188 ft

She overhung at Jellicoe, actually that pic you posted has her stern overhanging, at jellicoe.

She bypassed Auckland on her last visit to NZ

I do like the "only 1188ft" comment :thumbup:

#38 Simon

Simon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

POAL are a busines, profit above anything else. A little protest on the water holding up a few cruise ships before the hearing should alter a busines case.

Easy way to incease the ballance sheet, just grab more harbour for free.

Yeah, I don't want to demonize the POA, but they do tend to play a pretty two-faced game.  On the one hand they claim to be agnostic as to location and claim they are just an operational port company.  However, on the other they take significant steps to undermine any case to move the port; create elaborate concept plans for hotels, roof-top parks and car parks which are all designed to make the idea of the staying put more attractive and they have a very well established track record of steadily encroaching into the harbour.  The fact is that every bit of investment in their current operation - including the dolphin - makes the politics and economics of a move more difficult - and frankly given the almost total lack of strategic leadership from the Council, it doesn't take much to get things like this put in the too hard basket.  Least we forget, our current mayor was elected on a platform of zero further encroachment into the harbour, and that the port should move.  Yeah right!

#39 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for that Rigger, I guess from what I remember of the studies, the port was to be built further away than Onehunga and on mudflat where the channel was still deep...not actually right in hence the need for 1bil of roading.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

#40 Veladare

Veladare

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

Simon the carpark and things like that are the stop gap to carry them through the 30 years to when the new port is built.

The extensions were changed from landfill to piles that could be removed once the port was relocated

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users