Modern technology meets the ancient form of sailing

SloopJohnB

FPSA

UAE

The boat show is fairly international as well. I ran into a group of guys who had come from the United Emirates for some training on sail design software they had invested in. They were like kids in a candy shop... I want this .. this... and that winch etc. Their primary shopping frenzy came from prepping for the upcoming seasonal Dhow races in Abu Dhabi. The racing takes place in October starting with the 24 ft boats, then a couple of weeks later the 40 footers and the finale at the end of the month with the 60 footers. The boats are a mix of high tech and classic. From a distance, they are lateen rigged skiffs with crew hanging off the sides. Up close, it is carbon tubed masts, and light rigging but restrictions maintaining vertical panels trying to keep a traditional style

Capture.JPG

Some more

http://picasaweb.google.com/LynHinesMar ... lashalbum#

I got asked to quote some stuff for these things. On the pictures they sent through, there were not one, but two petrol powered pumps sucking the ocean out of the bilge! Neither was fixed in place, so I guess they're movable ballast!

Does anyone want to teach them how to stand on the trapeze? Or are they preparing to Moon the finish boat?

On second look I think they're trapezing without harnesses, so maybe that should be the next investment.

After that, Mylar Sails....

When I was at lidgards we made a few of the sails

Well there you go, it sounds like everyone is into them! :lol:

I was thinking of Calibre Sails in Whangarei (David Parr/Waldo). There are a couple more photos and a few comments about what they are like to sail on this page of his website (you have to scroll down to the fourth item, past a 12-metre and a gaff-rigged A class).

http://www.calibresails.co.nz/calibresails_news.php

Squid I hear Achmed was quite p*ssed off to see orders going offshore like that.

I would be difficult to build these boats any lighter within the class rules - they have strict box dimensions and the hulls must be built from teak and are not allowed any fibre reinforcing. 8mm edge glued planks over sawn frames and then sealed with a coat of epoxy resin.

The 44ft class boats weigh about 700kg. The boats are 44ft long, a minimum of 10ft wide, must be no less than 4.5ft from keel to sheer at any point. They have a 34ft carbon mast, 34ft bowsprit, and a 55ft lateen spar and carry around 200sq.m of sail.

The boats are open, carry sand bags for ballast and have rigging on only one side of the mast. When the boat tacks or gibes the crew have to undo the shrouds at the chainplates and tack the stays over to the other side. No trapese harnesses, and the crew just hang on to the stays and lean out.

I went up to Abu Dhabi a few years ago with Chris McMaster from Doyles and we did some testing with them before we returned to NZ and designed a new boat. Chris has supplied a lot of sails included moulded Stratis sails.

We tracked the boats with GPS and in 9kns of wind the 44s were doing 13-14kns of boatspeed - pretty amazing for hand built boats built on the beach under palm trees! The 66ft boats are even quicker!

Attached photo is the Bakewell-White 44.

2006_010444pic0034.jpg

Archived