NZ fisheries

"CH" interesting article,but why are still using old world technology to catch fish? Where there is a presence or known presence no netting/trawling within 40 miles of the coast would help.

Industry spent a lot of money on a new design net that allows fish to be released alive as the net comes on board full of water,yeah can really see that working in a sea way.

https://www.maoritelevision.com/news/latest-news/tiaki-launch-new-technology-replace-trawl-nets

Do nothing to save dolphins though.

Exactly. Refer above, stop netting. Period.

Had it explained in detail how QMS forces commercial to dump.

If I had quota for 6 tonne of snapper nearing the end of the season,all thats left of my quota(snapper) is 600kn and I catch 800kg

I have 2 choices ,one is ring around and find out who has quota left so it can be landed under their quota,2 ,stock caught so must be ,I get paid the going rate for the 600kg,the other 200kg I pay a deemed value to mpi/fisheries and it could be as much as $30kg 

So what am I going too do?? dump it of course,must of got the net caught on something,ring mpi/fisheries straight away and I am covered.(bit of a bugger tearing a good net and repairing but might cheaper than the deemed value).

Stock that I do not have quota for must not be landed,another waste,if landed I face a penalty for landing non quota species unless I find someone who has quota for that stock.

If I had quota for 6 tonne of snapper nearing the end of the season,all thats left of my quota(snapper) is 600kn and I catch 800kg

I have 2 choices ,one is ring around and find out who has quota left so it can be landed under their quota,2 ,stock caught so must be ,I get paid the going rate for the 600kg,the other 200kg I pay a deemed value to mpi/fisheries and it could be as much as $30kg 

So what am I going too do?? dump it of course,must of got the net caught on something,ring mpi/fisheries straight away and I am covered.(bit of a bugger tearing a good net and repairing but might cheaper than the deemed value).

Stock that I do not have quota for must not be landed,another waste,if landed I face a penalty for landing non quota species unless I find someone who has quota for that stock.

Or sell the boat and get a job.

"So what am I going to do".......? well how about good old fashioned Compliance With the Rules, even if you consider the system imperfect. What gives anyone in this particular industry the right to rort the system because they personally disagree with it ? Lets apply that to Aviation, Medicine, Taxation, Policing, etc and see how we advance as a society, Somalia anyone ?

A Napier commercial fishing company, its directors and general manager have been fined a total of more than $1 million for the sustained under-reporting of bluenose.

Hawkes Bay Seafoods (HBS) and 2 subsidiary companies in the HBS stable, Esplanade No 3 and Ocean Enterprises Limited plus HBS directors, Antonino (Nino) and Giancarlo (Joe) D'Esposito, and general manager, Marcus D'Esposito were all charged in 2017 with offences under the Fisheries Act.

All parties pleaded guilty last year to under-reporting 27 tonnes of bluenose linked to export consignments to Australia between 2012 and 2014. They were sentenced today in the Wellington District Court.

As well as being fined a total of $1,086,673, the defendants were ordered to pay $418,500 in redemption fees for the return of 4 fishing vessels that the court ordered to be forfeited to the Crown after the offending.

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) manager of fisheries compliance Steve Ham says today's result is significant.

"This was sustained offending that happened over a number of years. The judgement today shows very clearly that Marcus D'Esposito knew his actions were against the law.

"Today's outcome sends a clear message to anyone who is thinking of offending similarly – MPI will ensure that people who break the law in this way are dealt with accordingly."

Read the full release here https://www.fisheries.govt.nz/…/hawkes-bay-seafoods-and-pe…/