GPS to fail

I keep seeing online ads that seem to be saying something similar. I've never clicked any of them - all look a bit dodgy in a 'world is coming to an end' kind of way...all I know is someone's working pretty hard to sell me something.

Bollocks. GPS has a sat replacement program. Currently on my cellphone, I can se the USA gps system, the Russian glonass system, the Chinese one will soon cover the planet, and I see a couple of the Japanese ones as well. You can download an app to identify which systems you can see. Forgot it’s name right now, I’ll look tomorrow.

Even if gps fell over, plenty of other providers....

Bollocks. GPS has a sat replacement program. Currently on my cellphone, I can se the USA gps system, the Russian glonass system, the Chinese one will soon cover the planet, and I see a couple of the Japanese ones as well. You can download an app to identify which systems you can see. Forgot it’s name right now, I’ll look tomorrow.

Even if gps fell over, plenty of other providers....

and the Galileo system.

True, but very misleading in the way it's presented.

Some very old GPS receiver chips have a date calculation based issue whereby the chip can only support dates up until sometime in about two years or so.

These units may have problems from that point on.

So, GPS will fail not really, some old GPS receivers yes, probably.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mark, that was along the lines I heard. Wonder is my old Navman 5600 likely affected.. And then I would need to update the chip? Once asked here for how you do that and cost but got no answer.

Vic, that's likely because you can't easily do that. It's almost certainly not in a socket, but surface mount on an obsolete board.

As per the link above though, you may be able to update the firmware, if a later version is available. Check the manufacturer's website.

Hmmm...No one asked about the "golly gosh" system. Didn't know this until this subject turned up and did a little research. India has their own system! Even better, its all geostationary satellites so not in our sky only for India.