Nostlagia - just some old photos

Volante in Akaroa.

post-2759-077657200 1343121628.jpg

From the Jim Young book:

So I was really put off and disappointed by not getting this design and duly I met Bob Miller, who became the famous Ben Lexcen. Somewhere I have a loose design drawing of Volante that is not even fair. It was an idea, not really a working drawing. And I said to him about the sketch,

“That’s an enormous amount of wetted surface.” And he replied, and I’ll always remember this,” To hell with silly wetted surface, it doesn’t matter a damn!”

Any news on the big old Spencer on the US west coast (name forgotten)

Do you mean Ragtime (ex Infidel)?  She is entered in the Transpac this year - the first time for many years. 

My ole man owned Kahurangi for about 20 years. Came home one day in the 80s and said they had this wonderful suitcase sized thing that could pin point you position to within 400m twice day!

She was wrecked in the Caribbean and the late John Olsen restored her I believe.

He said every town they pulled in to would welcome them with open arms, marveling at her beautiful lines, and constant guitar playing.

I believe she is on the hard somewhere in the Med.

John thought about bringing her home, but also owned Okere so elected to leave it in the north

In 1967 Kahurangi did her first ocean race to New Caledonia (1300 hundred miles). In 1969 she did the 630 mile ocean race Sydney to Hobart. One of the crew was Frenchman Alain Colas who was doing his first ocean race. When Kahurangi arrived to Hobart in third position was moored beside Tabarly´s Penn Duik IV. It was there and then when Colas met Tabarly and their historic relationship began.

Bit ruff when some bugger steals your passerelle.

Kaunis vene ja koira.jpg

I think it was Xmas 1965 - 66 RNZYS declined Infidel's entry in B.o I race because it was only a harbour racer. Is that correct ?  Sold soon after and won Transpac as Ragtime. Which it still is. Tom Clark and john Spencer were sailing trailblazers !