Simrad AP44, NAC-3

So, weird problem.  Was fiddling around with the autopilot today as it is not working as planned.  Whatever I did, my problem is:

- say cruising along at 300 degM.  Plotter says 300, AP says 300.

- click Auto

- AP now says 276 and shows that my course is 20+ deg to Port

- still steers 300

Set to Heading Hold.

I have redone the Dockside setup and the Sea Trial, nothing has changed.  My steering offset is 0 deg.

Any ideas?  My original problem is more related to the hydraulics I believe.  Today I was seeing if I could hold the wheel as the Hydraulic pump was running.  I could do so in one direction and not the other.

I spent the longest time figuring out why my fancy names 2k compass was 20 degrees off then realised that when I did the spinning around then take off in a straight line calibration it was calibrating for true north but the instruments were interpreting as magnetic. Changed my gps and displays to true and it was fixed. I could have omitted the straight line part of calibration and it would have calibrated to magnetic.

Hope that all makes sense. Garmin compass.

If you can hold the helm one way not the other, the ram has a leaking seal (leaks oil from one side to other, nothing comes out).

Yes, try a factory reset on the AP and instruments, incl MFD.

There is no heading/compass offset in any instrument? Could be  a network "source" issue, not getting heading direct from the compass. A reset should correct any anomaly. 

So, this morning I said righto, lets give this the bullet to the back of the head and do a global reset.  Just before I push the button, let's try the test again and.... no problem.  WTF?  Multiple reboots yesterday, but maybe it just needed a little rest overnight.  F'in electronics.

If you are having intermittent issues , the most common problem is dodgy power on the n2k bus. Then termination, only 2 terminators at the end of the bus. Most of the mfds have a network diag screen, check for errors.