#1 NZTiger

NZTiger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationManukau

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:23 PM

Hi all,

Encouraged by the new rule about not needing a liferaft for the Coastal Classic, I'd like to understand what's involved in getting my GBE to Cat 3 for this year's event.

I have a standard GBE II (High Velocity M7290) with virtually no modification and would like to understand what needs to be done to get the big tick. 

I've worked my way through the safety regulations of sailing and made myself a shopping list but I'd like some advice on exactly what some of these requirements would look like on a GBE and who I can use to get some work done properly.

Ideally, if there's someone who could show me what they've done on their boat, that would be awesome.

I'm not looking to turn the boat into a pure racing machine.  This is more about realising the dream of racing to Russell, crossing the finish line in one piece and getting back home again safely.

I'd be willing to contribute a bottle of something drinkable for your efforts.

Cheers,

Justin

#2 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,925 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:41 PM

Talk to Tim Clissold....

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

Talking to tim is a good idea. Mostly just safety equipment, pays to have a good setup for reefing, so you can deep reef without losing a rig. I added a removeable inner forestay to my GBE to help stabilise the rig with all the reefs in. Ive sailed on your boat in wellington, if still as solid as she was then, should be no trouble.

#4 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:02 PM

No life raft, good decision in my opinion. Keeping CAT 3 is important because there is no way the comitee can randomly check boats on the start line.

A life raft on a wooden catamaran is as usefull as an ash tray on a motorbike.

#5 MartinRF

MartinRF

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:31 AM

Well, there is always that thing called fire...

Happened to Swedish Seacart 30 some years ago and swimming for the shore wasn't an option. I don't remember what saved the crew but it was not a pleasant experience.

/Martin

#6 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:20 AM

Happened to Swedish Seacart 30 some years ago and swimming for the shore wasn't an option. I don't remember what saved the crew but it was not a pleasant experience.

/Martin

The GBEs get so wet, it would be a damn impressive fire to be an issue.  No cooker, just outboard or electrics to cause issues.  And cat 3 requires us to carry 427kg of extinguishers (which seemed overkill on the GBE,seems underdone on a family cruiser TBH)

#7 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:41 AM

/Martin

Don't you guys carry a spare hull to hop into if your one catches fire?

#8 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:50 PM

I intend to bring an AIS allarm that fits in my life jacket and there should be few nice cruisng cats coming from behind that should have allarms popping up on their dashboards. If we flip they can see exactly where we are to  pick us up in no time.

#9 Vorpal Blade

Vorpal Blade

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:08 PM

I intend to bring an AIS allarm that fits in my life jacket and there should be few nice cruisng cats coming from behind that should have allarms popping up on their dashboards. If we flip they can see exactly where we are to  pick us up in no time.

And have the drinks poured and ready...

for awesome custom made fabric products
http://www.coversandcanvas.co.nz

#10 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:09 PM

The regs tell you what gear you need(Depth soundet fixed vhf charts etc etc). Just as critical though is to understand what you will do if things go bad.

When the boat is upside down how exactly do you get to the grab bag? If you need to be recovered by coastguard are things like wallets keys and phones in the grab bag?

If the rig had come down do you have the right tools to easily cut it away?

Can every one on the boat do everything? I.e. If the helm goes over board can the crew stop the boat, drop sails and back track effectively even though it's blowing 25 kts?

These questions and others like them have a different answer on each boat, have a good sus about how our will work for you.

If you are in Auckland sometime give me a shout as there are plenty of helpful people who'll happily show you what they have done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users