Westhaven Marina Berth Rental Rates

Risking a drift....not only are we an expensive country, especially for marine based activities, but our wages are cr@p.  It's like a double whammy.

Talking to my brother-in-law the other day

He’s from North Carolina original and he was telling me that his sister works in data entry on minimum wage $6.50 US.

Or $9.70 NZ

Effectively half the NZ rate.

It’s 4 years ago now but after sailing back from Europe we were blown away by how expensive NZ is in comparison to the rest of the world

It’s a self perpetuating problem, we don’t have a population or nearby competition to keep prices down so we have to pay more wages for people to survive which pushes prices up.

5 years ago I talked to a marina manager in Greece, it was GFC central and he was on 10k euro a year, worked nights in a bar to survive. He said he was well off as he was the only one of his mates from uni that had a permanent job.

Not saying we need a crisis but we need to reset the clock somehow

There was a letter in a recent (UK) Yachting Monthly mag. The writer said it was cheaper to keep his yacht in NZ( did not say where) even allowing for the cost of airfares compared with having it in a marina on England's South coast. I understand quite a few UK boat owners keep their boats in France due to significant savings.

Not justifying Westhaven's charges but have seen similarly expensive marinas in places such as Sydney,Perth, Vancouver and Seattle. Unfortunately supply and demand at work.

The cheapest marina we found in the south of France (med) was 57 Euro per night for a 15m berth. We did pretty much every marina along that coast. These were all non fingered berths without even poles. Just a dock with 2 lines forward. Average price was about 75 Euro and the most was 115 Euro per night. All the marinas were absolutely chocka full. Of course this was short term and in peak season so hard to compare with long term westhaven prices.

Prices varied a bit through the rest of the marinas between the med and NZ but generally not much change from about US$55 per night.

Yes westhaven is not a cheap place to keep a boat but simple supply and demand keeps prices high. With the marina full and so many boats on the waitlist gagging for a 12+m berth, the price was never going to go down.... As much as we would all love it too.

I have a 12m berth at westhaven, the cost is simply part of my boat ownership costs. If I can't keep the boat where I want it then it's time for a smaller boat.

However the statement about how the latest increase is due to marina facility upgrades is marginal at best. The only upgrades I see are for the general public rather than the paying berth holders.

I have a 12m berth at westhaven, the cost is simply part of my boat ownership costs. If I can't keep the boat where I want it then it's time for a smaller boat.

And for the guy who already has a smaller boat its game over . And we wonder why fleets are shrinking and boat prices dropping.

...and boat prices dropping.

Case in point, originally listed at $42k (that I'm aware of), this 88 with 180 people on the watchlist failed to reach reserve 2 weeks ago with a top bid of $15.2k. Currently asking $32k. https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1948762302

(Yes, I'm shamelessly trying to talk prices down as far as possible!)

Count yourselves lucky. AT hates cars more than Panuku hates boats

“Auckland Transport, the council-controlled entity that operates the carparks, raised its daily charges at the Downtown carpark by 67 per cent in January on the basis that the carpark was “frequently full”.”

That’s how it works

What you save in purchase cost you will spend on extortionate marina fees☹️

Shows how disconnected Panuku is as Puff models with AT.

Had to larf when they failed to rock up to a public meeting in St Heliers mainly consisting of the elderly siting safety concerns.

What was $60k 88,s Townsons etc are now $30k and as I have been banging on ad nausium the drop in value can be primarily sheeted home to the cost of berthage.

Case in point, originally listed at $42k (that I'm aware of), this 88 with 180 people on the watchlist failed to reach reserve 2 weeks ago with a top bid of $15.2k. Currently asking $32k. https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1948762302

We picked up our Y88 for 22k in July last year started at $59k!

Count yourselves lucky. AT hates cars more than Panuku hates boats

“Auckland Transport, the council-controlled entity that operates the carparks, raised its daily charges at the Downtown carpark by 67 per cent in January on the basis that the carpark was “frequently full”.”

That’s how it works

Yup wack up the customer charges just before you sell.

Fine strategy that.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12223329

Just about had a heart attack when I saw the new westhaven marina rental rates.  WTF.

So as I do I went to look at their financial statements YT 30 June 18.  First thing is they look like a property development company, which I guess is not surprising.  Good new they only pay themselves $22m per year (whole entity) in salaries :)

They made $12.5m in berth hire.  Marinas went up $20m in their accounts in one year due to "transfers" no idea what they transferred.  They did a DCF in 2016.

They dont do any segment reporting so I cant tell how much they spend in the marinas.  Apparently 92% of customers were satisfied with marina services according to a survey of 588 of us.

Maybe the lack of redevelopment for the pile moorings reflects concern about the bottleneck effect of removing the western exit entry.

With the Sealink ferry and the fishing boat relocation along with the expansion of Lot 18 coupled with Fullers fueling and dockage the charter boat fleet the tugs the classic yachts the super yachts the public launch ramp and the 1500 moored yachts and stinkpots phew its going to be one busy single access point.

A6A96499-A8D2-42D1-A8CA-A97159FA7CF7.png

0119E212-EF88-4CC0-86C6-F3D4D407D5E6.png

There does not appear to be much in the way of parking for the pile area development berths. I doubt if those berth owners are going to travel to their boats on bicycles.

I also think closing the Western access is crazy from a silting preventative measure - access to the new area could be provided by a bridge so there is still a water flow through there. I know the "experts" don't agree but they have been known to be wrong before.