#1 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 09:15 AM

Anyone using lead crystal yet? R MARINE were in Whangaroa yesterday with a load of Betta LC 200ah batteries (bloody heavy!) and said they were replacing others on a gin palace that had deformed!!. I believe this is a problem with them?
A lot of money to fork out for batteries that are that fickle with charging?
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#2 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for that!

Seriously looking for alternatives to FLA.

Seems all the new alternative have caveats.

Carbon foam, etc

#3 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,031 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 17 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

Seems to me that these are ALL emerging technologies. IMO best value for money is still Lead Acid. I went for VRSLA batts again, but next time, in another 10 years, who knows, very likely something new.

If you get less than 10 years from your batts, you are killing them with incorrect charging procedures. 

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#4 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:52 AM

I'm currently at 4yrs and will know in a few days what SOH is as installing a Balmar smart guage.

Too lazy to do 20hr cap test. And don't have the loads etc.

Can never get used to slight acidic smell tho of FLA. (unsealed)

So I'm either going to replace or vent the boxes.

#5 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

Lead Crystal or lead carbon (micro fibre)? Seems the "super capacitor" style of carbon nano tech on the earth terminal of lead carbon is better for charging? Did a ring-around and the two techs have different plus and minuses. I was warned we needed very definitive voltage and current control to charge lead crystal correctly. Not the same with lead carbon? Give it your best shot!? but do not let lead carbon drop below 12v.....head still spinning!!
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#6 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:11 PM

I'm currently at 4yrs and will know in a few days what SOH is as installing a Balmar smart guage.

Sorry Lateral, but that smart gauge won't tell you state of health. The ONLY way to get that is to do a proper 20 hour discharge test.

Yep, FLA smells as it gasses. VRSLA does not vent at all, unless something bad is happening, when the valve ( the V in VRSLA) can open, then they can produce a lot of gas! 

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#7 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

The  one i'm installing does. http://www.balmar.ne...attery-monitor/

The first batch, which is the one I got, had blemishes on the screen so I gave them a rev trying to get a cheap BT dongly thing

so I can check whats going on at the helm.

Farkers were unreceptive. ;)

God loves a tryer.

#8 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:47 PM

It tries. But Ive read a few reports that say in practice the SOH can be out by 30% or more. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes, these are still pretty new.

#9 mattm

mattm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

In my eyes, theses new tech batteries need to prove themselves in boats over their claimed lifespans. They are considerably more expensive, but if their claim to lifespan and number of cycles prove correct, they would be good value for money, but I’d rather let someone else be the Guinea pig and prove they will go the distance in a boat first. I’m happy with AGM in the meantime.

#10 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:52 PM

you really need to have a decent ventilation system, there is some nasty stuff in those gases including Arsine and Stabine gas.

You can reduce gassing on wet batteries by fitting Hydrocaps 

http://hydrocapcorp.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users