#1 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

Flexible panels installed 2014 or 2015, 4 X 100w.
Marked on the terminal box DLC, and under that, PV-DLC605. Through an mppt controller.

one has died and I want to replace it , but I'm told the maximum output voltage of a new panel must be the same as existing.
What is the voltage for the above? It's not marked anywhere.
Is that requirement correct?

#2 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:19 AM

Don't know why there are 2 threads, fingers and touch screen I s'pose . Can't find a delete button for the other.

#3 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,794 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:26 AM

Can’t tell model or make from that. PV-DLC605 Is the diode box only, not the panel. Ideally the max voltage should be the same to get the best output from the array, but it’s not actually essential. Are the panels wired in series or parallel? Check the open circuit voltage of a good panel when it’s sunny, and match or get close to that for the new one.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#4 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:28 AM

What are these solar panels you talk of.
Just install 2 alternators as another thread covers and be done with this Green tree hugging anti global warming witchery.
Nothing like the constant lullaby drone of a Bay full of vessels generating power for their devices.

#5 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:35 AM

Can’t tell model or make from that. PV-DLC605 Is the diode box only, not the panel. Ideally the max voltage should be the same to get the best output from the array, but it’s not actually essential. Are the panels wired in series or parallel? Check the open circuit voltage of a good panel when it’s sunny, and match or get close to that for the new one.

Thanks Matt. I think I've seen 18 or 19v in the past but will check it. Burnsco have something similar in physical size buts it's 17v.

#6 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:37 AM

What are these solar panels you talk of.
Just install 2 alternators as another thread covers and be done with this Green tree hugging anti global warming witchery.
Nothing like the constant lullaby drone of a Bay full of vessels generating power for their devices.

Damn right about the generators.
Those panels ran a freezer all day every day from 2015 to 18, winter and summer. Doing it again now after a few months off.

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:21 AM

one has died and I want to replace it , but I'm told the maximum output voltage of a new panel must be the same as existing.

I'm adding a maintenance panel and when discussing that with system guru there was no mention of voltage matching and I was told 'just grab a good panel that will fit'.

But that maybe related to size, the maintenance panel only needs to give me 4-5amps per 24hrs, so it'll only be 10-12W. Guru is fine with that one being connected 24/7 into the same grid that the 100W/s will be hooking into when required.

I do have some flash control gear, no idea if that has any input into it.

#8 Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

I'm adding a maintenance panel and when discussing that with system guru there was no mention of voltage matching and I was told 'just grab a good panel that will fit'.

But that maybe related to size, the maintenance panel only needs to give me 4-5amps per 24hrs, so it'll only be 10-12W. Guru is fine with that one being connected 24/7 into the same grid that the 100W/s will be hooking into when required.

I do have some flash control gear, no idea if that has any input into it.

The maintenance panel isn't for your lithium is it? :wtf:

#9 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:51 AM

The maintenance panel isn't for your lithium is it? :wtf:

More for the safety systems around it. They use around 0.2 amps.

It'll only be connected in times of extended boat inactivity..... or if we are desperate to squeeze a hint more out of the sun.

#10 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,794 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 24 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

KM, lets get it right!

AMPs are current flow. Amp Hours are capacity. There is a huge difference in a panel that can give 4-5 amps, and one that can give 4-5 amp hours per 24 hours.....

And, your 0.2a draw as above is 4.8 amp hours per day actual draw. There are losses and inefficiencies in charging, you'd really want 5.5-6 amp hours per day out of the panel to keep up with this.  Allowing for crap weather, but still getting this charge, I'd use a panel of around 30w to be certain. That's 30w/13.6v = 2.2 amps x 3 hours useful charge in winter = 6.6 Ah. Thats guessing available sunlight, and using 13.6v as the float voltage for the batts...

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users