bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 28 April 2019 - 09:33 PM

Hi All,

Part of my winter projects is to get my head around a few more of the electrical systems on the boat.

I have two displays that I think are both battery monitors:

https://photos.app.g...muP8oZgV7AnAXp8

Why would I have two, or have I missed something, is the Balmar one providing some sort of information about the output from the alternator that the Xantrex isn't?

Cheers

Al

#2 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,643 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:13 AM

Yes, the Balmar is controlling the ALT and the Xantrex the Charger. The Xantrex should be the one set up primary monitor of the Battery banks.
The Link systems have long been considered the most sophisticated monitoring systems available (providing the have been programmed properly) and all other makes copied the features.
The two separate monitors will be giving access to the parameters of the charging units, so you do need both.

#3 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

So the Balmar controls the Alternator output (through charging regulator?) and displays information about Battery health?

The Xantrex controls ??? and displays information about battery health? (The same battery information as the Balmar display?)

To complete the picture the boat used to also have shore power/inverter chager but this was 100v and has been removed.

#4 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,643 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

Arrr, righty, the link20 would have controlled the shorepower charger. Sorry, I didn't realise the charger was removed.
You could remove the Link if you want, as it is doing mostly what the Balmar is as in reporting Battery state of charge.
Or you could buy a Xantrex charger that accepts the Link as a control, or the Heart Interface charger that was thew original charger the Link was first designed for. But they are expensive and may not warrant your own personal needs of Boat use.

#5 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 29 April 2019 - 08:20 AM

I have two, doing same job with both going through the shunts to negative battery bus thus monitoring charge and discharge.. (Last device in line is the SG200 shunt)

Only because the cheap BM was already installed and I liked the extra info of the SG200.

You could do the same for redundancy/check or ditch link 20.

If you set them to current draw/discharge, you will soon see what is doing what when you switch stuff on/off.

And what is faulty.

If you have a clamp meter check numbers against your meter.

Both are discontinued years ago, 2008 for link 20. Pretty dumb compared with whats available today.

M2CW

#6 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:21 AM

Well I am going to install a Victron MultiPlus and BMV712 - so that will replace the Xantrex. I presume i should leave the Balmar display in since it controls the alternator output?

#7 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,571 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:47 AM

Yes. Put the bluetooth module on the victron. Great history reports and easy to use.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#8 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

Well I am going to install a Victron MultiPlus and BMV712 - so that will replace the Xantrex. I presume i should leave the Balmar display in since it controls the alternator output?

I doubt the balmar dc monitor controls the regulator.

Check the manual on the Balmar regulator that you have; that vintage were usually set on the regulator. Pots, reed switches etc.

I'm not familiar with it

http://www.balmar.ne...inued-products/

#9 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

I doubt the balmar dc monitor controls the regulator.

Check the manual on the Balmar regulator that you have; that vintage were usually set on the regulator. Pots, reed switches etc.

I'm not familiar with it

http://www.balmar.ne...inued-products/

Lateral, I think you are right, there is a controller in the electronics bay. Thing in a blue metal case as you say with pots etc - that being the case the BMV712 could replace both the Xantrex and the Balmar monitor? (But the regulator obviously left in circuit).

#10 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:55 AM

Yes. Put the bluetooth module on the victron. Great history reports and easy to use.

Yeah they look like a great unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users