59 replies to this topic

#21 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,643 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Yikes. I thought this was some kind of joke question. That is really scary. I know, I have had something like this happen myself. I can't work out the battery, but it looks like multiple cells coupled together and it looks like an external short. I really would like to know more about what happened.
By the way, it takes a serious short to Earth for a considerable time to do something like this. Unless they are Lithium and one has shorted out.

#22 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

Not sure on details sorry, I will have to call him. I think it was the house battery though

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#23 Beccara

Beccara

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationWhangarei

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

maxresdefault.jpg

It really looks like this but with some kind of blue wrap around it. Perhaps it was one of these "drop in" FLA replacement Lithium batts I see around. Some do it right like Mastervolt, Some do it very wrong

#24 Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

really gone wrong big-time, they look like Winston cells, CALB are blue or grey iirc. No matter what went wrong, aside from an internal short, the BMS hasn't done its job... looks expensive :wtf:

#25 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 11:51 PM

What do you think would have caused this battery meltdown on the weekend

Multiple Lithium Iron Phosphate cells with no Battery management system?    Looks like the result of an ill informed DIYer.

#26 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,643 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:34 AM

That makes sense. I had an argument with a guy on Trademe who is selling Lithium battery cells advertising that you can make your own "Power Wall" with them. The are AA cells and the idea is to just amass as many as you want to make a mega bank of Lithium battery cell. There is no charger and I told him he was being a little irresponsible. You can imagine the response i got from him. I expected such, so it was no shock to me. I just hopped someone else would read my comment and think twice about trying to make a Powerwall.

#27 Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

Looks like some sense wires for a bms going the terminals , but no signs of external large amp fusing... but hey without the full story its nothing but a guess...

#28 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:27 AM

If those are Lithium batts I see no obvious packing around the plastic battery box to keep them securely contained.  My research into Lithiums always stressed the need to lock the batts tightly into place.

#29 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:34 PM

Looks like some sense wires for a bms going the terminals 

I saw that too,  but it didn't make sense to which terminals the single wires were going to.  You would have a single wire going to each positive and that setup is in series, so the conclusion I came to was it wasn't a balancing arrangement. 

You are also correct,  without the full story, we are only guessing. 

#30 bigal.nz

bigal.nz

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

Back to the idea of replacing the xantrex and balmar monitor with the Victron BMV712. I had a look at what I think is the charging controller ( https://photos.app.g...S1xD1L9eg8jWD8A ). I haven't had the time to trace the wires from the Balmar monitor, but I am guessing data Tx and data Rx go to the display?

Im guessing that whatever data is on that bus is propriety and integrate with the BMV712? That being the case will I loose some information ?

Cheers,

AG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users