Battery Monitors

Looks like before summer a new starter battery will be required :-(

The current one is a BP100-12 100Ah VRLA (2012 vintage).

I am thinking of replacing with Victron 90Ah - like this: https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fishing/victron-energy-90a-h-12v-gel-deep-cycle/136917205/p

I think I can get away with 90Ah.

Does this battery look suitable?

Cheers

AG

To add, Re sealed LA batteries, Gel batteries are not the best choice for boat use, even for deep cycle House use. AGM is the better choice. Gel is a type that is better suited for backup use, like remote power backup, where they remain fully charged for extended periods. Gel does not like high current discharge/charge which tend to be most boat house requirements. The Gel can suffer from bubbles of gas forming in it. AGM does not suffer from that, but is still a sealed battery design.

I think new battery could be on cards. I completely disconnected it 6 days ago 13.7v and today at 12.9. 0.8v in 6 days seems a bit much with no loads. The battery is 7 years old.

That means nothing. Fully charged lead acid is 12.8v after 10 hours rest. 12.9 is higher than normal. What matters is voltage drop with load for a cranking battery, or capacity for a deep cycle. Any battery place, even supercheap or repco, can easily test a starting battery with a CCA tester. Normally free.

I think new battery could be on cards. I completely disconnected it 6 days ago 13.7v and today at 12.9. 0.8v in 6 days seems a bit much with no loads. The battery is 7 years old.

Quite possibly after 7 years it is well due for replacement.

Right - well I will get it tests before I replace it, but given its age, and that the battery monitory was showing 1 red bar, I think its pointing to it being stuffed.