Fuel filter

Guest 000

Does anybody have a cunning plan for removing a stuck spin on diesel fuel filter please.

So far have tried spraying a little WD40 around the top, have tried alternatively tightening and loosening but with no success. The tool I am using is a self tightening nylon strap type. All that has happened so far is that I have slightly crushed the filter. Butchering to remove is a reluctant last resort.

any flats on the head of the filter for the special tool?

any space for a chain type oil filter grabber?

my old vetus had space for neither but was able to get it off with a nylon strap tool made by riveting some old seatbelt on to an iron square section cut from an old desk leg. the whole lot wound up by a crescent on the square section

looks a lot like these things you can buy

filterstrapwrench.jpg

or make, as here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J-YWVDcjZs

skip the welding by using a spanner on the square section to wind up

skip the sewing by cutting both sides and riveting the belt on an uncut flat

Thanks Matt, that's my plan of last resort. First I'll leave the WD40 for a while to see if it does anything. Then I'll run the engine for a bit to see if heat loosens anything up.

But I won't hold my breath. All this drama for the lack of a smear of oil on the gasket by the last guy who did a filter change.

I was thinking about cutting a couple of bits of 80grit sandpaper and inserting between the strap and the filter to improve grip. DaninEurope, I have that 15 euro tool on board courtesy of the previous owner but the space is a bit too tight to get it in.

And just to put the icing on the cake I told Joke no worries - pissy little job...now I've got diesel all down one leg of my trousers. Hell to pay when she gets back from the supermarket.

Ok, that job is done.

And done according to IT's recommendation of whacking a spike through the filter to unscrew it. And yes, what a mess with diesel everywhere.

But to put a positive spin on it, I had been thinking the machinery space could do with a bit of a clean up, and now it has. Boy, do I now have a pristine engine room!

Thanks to all for the advice.