• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

The evaluation report for the new equipment selection is out and the RS Aero is a fairly convincing winner in terms of the weighted criteria that were defined, scoring 80% overall with the closest rival, the Laser, at 69%. The evaluation panel included one Kiwi, Jo Aleh, though she wasn't present at the sailing trials. The final decision has yet to be made, but it's hard to imagine it going any other way after the process they've been through.

https://www.sail-wor...quipment-trials

http://www.sailing.o...ghy-[24944].pdf

One of the interesting things to me is that it's by far the lightest contender, with hull weight 30kg vs the Laser's 58kg, yet scored particularly well in the evaluation for quality and durability...

RS Aero’s finished product exceeded all others in terms of quality and durability. The hardware and

systems are well designed to function easily for the sailor and are proven in international
competition. The spars are built to a specification and quality control standard that is producing
consistent equipment for this international class. The lightweight hull is engineered with modern
materials and modern composite building expertise bringing consistency of manufacture that is
performing in the current marketplace. These have yet to experience Olympic competition however
their World Championships were held in 2018 in high winds and waves at the London 2012 Olympic
Venue with no breakage reported.

#2 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

Laser out and RS in? I bet Laser are kicking themselves with their current fiddling, what utterly crap timing.

Finn our to a 2 handed mixed gender Keelboat. Not too sure the proposed night racing lines up that well with TV.

"What ya watching? that looks like just a black screen"

"Na, they reckon it's a pile of keelboats on a power reach but I think it's really 2 Black panthers shagging at midnight"

#3 Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:13 AM

I have an Aero with a 9 and a 7 rig. 

It's an awesome boat but it has not taken off here as it has overseas yet.

Fingers crossed it does as I'd love to race it properly like my Zephyr with big fleets.

"That which can be accepted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Hitchens

#4 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,583 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

There is only one Black Panther
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#5 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

Interestingly, a comment dated Monday on a current TM ad for an Aero (I'm guessing a demonstrator) reports "a huge amount of interest in this boat since the weekend."

https://www.trademe....-2029723104.htm

And if I'm not mistaken the price for a new one has gone up around $2k since I last looked.

https://www.trademe....-1632741513.htm

#6 Puff

Puff

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

Dollar is down a bit but that seems a hell of a lot of money for not much

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

#7 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:15 AM

Some interesting analysis here of the evaluation process, suggesting that the validity of many of the ratings assigned to the boats are a bit questionable. Overall (my interpretation) he seems to suggest that the panel have tended to understate the deficiencies of the Laser relative to the alternatives.

https://optimist-ope...s-by-world.html

#8 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

Dollar is down a bit but that seems a hell of a lot of money for not much

Yea, that’s a ridiculous amount of money for a one person dinghy. Someone is taking the Micky, surely?

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#9 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

By comparison, the evaluation report gives a retail price for the Aero of GBP6k, so around NZD12k. Around NZD2300 of the NZ price is GST, so the right comparison is NZD15,200. Obviously shipping from the UK factory to NZ is something, and I guess with the current low volume might be fairly significant, though $3200 seems a lot.

To compare with the Laser, the evaluation report has them at GBP5k, around NZD10k. The current retail in NZ is NZD13,400. If you take out the GST it's NZD11650. Again the difference has to account for shipping, but I assume these come from Australia so should be quite a bit less to ship.

#10 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:41 AM

By comparison, the evaluation report gives a retail price for the Aero of GBP6k, so around NZD12k. Around NZD2300 of the NZ price is GST, so the right comparison is NZD15,200. Obviously shipping from the UK factory to NZ is something, and I guess with the current low volume might be fairly significant, though $3200 seems a lot.

To compare with the Laser, the evaluation report has them at GBP5k, around NZD10k. The current retail in NZ is NZD13,400. If you take out the GST it's NZD11650. Again the difference has to account for shipping, but I assume these come from Australia so should be quite a bit less to ship.

Would the GBP price include 20% VAT?

If exported from Britain that wouldn't apply, but GST would when entering NZ, and possibly a duty? (5% on sails isn't it? so possibly 5% on something like a sports dinghy, just a guess).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users