Bilge pump wiring

Guest 000

Guest 000

For my bilge pump there is a two-way rocker switch on the instrument panel. Pushing the switch down a activates the pump, pushing the switch up activates the circuit via the float switch in the pump so up is the default position ie the pump will start if water in the bilge raises the float. There is one negative and two positive wires to the pump.

If the the pump should auto activate I would never hear it so would like to include a little piezo alarm in the circuit.

I don't know how to do it.

Talk to IT about the bilge pump control unit he sells. I highly recommend it and depending on how fancy ( how much you want to spend) you can even get it to send you messages on your phone that the pump has activated. But for the basic fellas like us, there is an LED on the unit that flashes to tell you if the Pump is active or has been active while you were away an so one.
One biggy is the current of the Pump does not flow through the water sensor, so they do not burn out like the Bilge floats do.

Guest 000

Thanks Wheels. We don't need to go too whizz bang.

If the bilge pump were to activate with us on board, say fractured water tank, hose detaching from skin fitting or whatever, I just wouldn't hear it. Joke might but she's not as deaf as I am. Hence the need for a piezo alarm to sound when the pump runs. Can't figure out how it fits into the wiring circuit if indeed it can.

You don’t need another wire. Just connect the alarm + to the manual operation wire at the back of the switch, and - somewhere under the dash. The alarm will go off when ever the pump runs, auto or manual.

• Upvote 1
Guest 000

Thank you all for your help.

I now have a dandy little alarm wired into the bilge pump circuit. One less alarm in the bag full of piezo alarms. The previous owner of the boat certainly left some unusual stuff behind.

He's just getting back from the 10K run to and then back from the Gym??? ;)

Ha! Always possible. I was thinking maybe Wheels grew up on a farm and had kept up with the early rising.

Glad the alarm wiring is of some benefit to you KM. One of the drivers for me in having an alarm in a pump circuit harks back to our Cav39 days. The domestic water pump got an airlock in it and was silently running under the floorboards. The first w knew about it was the burny smell and the odd wisps of smoke wafting around the cabin.

He's just getting back from the 10K run to and then back from the Gym??? ;)

Hmm, I think you have me confused with some one else.

I have found that I am seriously allergic to exercise. I get seriously short of breath, go very red in the face and get really hot, even to the point of breaking into a sweat. After awhile, I have to sit down and rest before I collapse. Darn near an anaphylactic shock. Far too dangerous.

I am now on a "lose 10Kg" diet.

I only have 15 to go.