#11 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

Combined with decompression leavers (if you have them?)
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#12 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,614 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:19 AM

Jump starters are just baby Gel batteries and are not capable of giving any log term cranking ability.

They are usually Lithium Polymer, also commonly known as LiPo.

Not the larger plastic carry case type. We recycle them at work. You are possibly referring to those teeny weeny packs not much bigger that a cell ph and you plug into the Ciggy lighter

#13 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,614 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:21 AM

As for Boeing, which knob told them that putting batteries in a fuel tank was a good idea?

Nope, someone is pulling your leg. They sit in the Tail section where the APU is situated.

#14 mattm

mattm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

I’d say he means more like this wheels. Which attaches to the battery. This one claims to be lithium cobalt, 24000mAh, 1000a peak current. It also has USB and a cig socket, as well as a light, I mention this, as interestingly, the specs say it can fully charge an iPhone 10 times, or jump start up to 40 motors 🤔

My work van battery died a sudden and total death two weeks ago, starter gave barely a click, I jump started it with this four times that day, 2.7l petrol, as well as a customers 500hp diesel, with a battery flat enough it would crank only for a moment, and charged my phone for a while. The pack still showed 3 from 5 lights worth of charge. My work van started faster with the dead battery and this than it does a new, oversized start battery.

I wouldn’t use it as the start battery on the yacht alone, but I can hand start mine if I wanted to save weight that badly anyway.

Attached Files

#15 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

interestingly, the specs say it can fully charge an iPhone 10 times, or jump start up to 40 motors 🤔

On a few of my endruo rides assorted lads, inc myself, have brought these along as reserve power, we are often way out in the boonies where there is no or no decent power supply, to recharge GoPros, cameras and phones used as camera (no power usually also means no cell coverage).

All of us have only taken them once. As much as the specs make then seem wonderful in reality the performance is completely different. Charge a phone 10 times = total male cow excrement from our experiences. We now take a 5V USB port we wire to the bikes battery and charge off those, far FAR superior. Cable tie them on, easy peasy.

As a FYI - these jump starter things do attract the attention of Aircraft security at airports. Some, most, exceed the maximum allow capacity of 20,000 milliamp or 16,000 if you are unlucky when transiting China.

#16 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,614 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:22 PM

I have always been amused at the use of mA for such things when it should really be A. They simply want to make the thing look impressive to the many that would have no clue what an A or mA actually was. 20,000 of them sounds really impressive, where as 20A not so. Although 20A is still a fair bit of wack, it just doesn't sound as impressive.
Reminds me of the Getto Blasters that have figures of 2400WPMPO. Wow!!! Sounds impressive.

#17 Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationUnexplored Northland

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:10 PM

I have always been amused at the use of mA for such things when it should really be A. They simply want to make the thing look impressive to the many that would have no clue what an A or mA actually was. 20,000 of them sounds really impressive, where as 20A not so. Although 20A is still a fair bit of wack, it just doesn't sound as impressive.
Reminds me of the Getto Blasters that have figures of 2400WPMPO. Wow!!! Sounds impressive.

"Candle power" is the same when it comes to some Chinese light makers claims!
""Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."" Nathan Zelk, Commander US submarine Montpelier (SSN 765) 

#18 Freedom GBE

Freedom GBE

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

The mah for these things are at 5 volts which fooled me.  Bought a 12000 mah one from burnsco on special, still pricy, thinking it would be twice as good as our cheap 5ah battery.  It kept turning of, It stopped working after 4 months and was glad to return it.

#19 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

You are possibly referring to those teeny weeny packs not much bigger that a cell ph and you plug into the Ciggy lighter

Yes sir,  that is what I was referring to.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users