#1 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 15 May 2019 - 01:12 AM

Our auto service centre told me that if I shorten the time between oil changes my car would see a significant extension in expected mileage. I admit to thinking yep, he's looking to make a few extra dollars..
But then there is a retired marine engineer with a canal boat here, and his boat has a 120hp Volvo diesel in it with 23,000 hours on it. He claims to have done no major work on the engine but does an oil and filter change every 100 hours maximum.
Makes you think.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#2 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:40 AM

150 hrs is normal.well that's what I got told by whiting power for the yanmar

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#3 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,715 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

If it is easy to change, then regularly changing the Oil will add years to the engines life. You don't even need to use a good oil. The Cheap value packs will do just as well as expensive oils. It is all about the little particles of carbon in the Oil. They are sharp and abrasive. Diesel Oil mainly differs from petrol engine oil , in that it has a lot more detergent in it. The detergent causes the Carbon particles to remain suspended in the Oil and then the larger ones can be trapped in the Filter and the finer particles get removed with the Oil change.
However! Just like a Battery Bank with the rule of thumb of 50% discharge, the same applies to Oil changes. There is a point in which the cost of changing outweighs the life increase. As an extreme example to make that comment easier to understand, There would be no point in changing the Oil hourly because the cost and hassle of doing so would eventually outweigh the life increase of the engine, because eventually, no matter how clean the Oil, the engien will still wear out.
You have to figure a compromise of longevity against cost and hassle of oil changes.
For many sail boats, engine hrs are not high per year, so a yearly change is all the is needed.

#4 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

But there is another issue which is, so I have been told, that once oil has whizzed around inside the engine for a few hours it turns acidic as a result of the combustion/ignition process. Theoretically then even if you only do 30 hours engine runtime over the summer and zero hours over the winter you would still be advised to change the oil at the end of each summer so that the engine doesnt sit idle over winter with contaminated oil inside.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#5 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,715 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:21 AM

The oil itself does not turn acidic, but it carries around Acids. However, that is mainly Petrol Engines. For every 100ltrs of air the engine sucks through, ruffly 1ltr of water is produced and 1/10th of a ltr of Sulphuric Acid.
For Diesel, sulpher was removed from Diesel and thus thew Acid is not produced as much as it used to be.
Add to that, the Additive pack in a container of oil has an Acid neutralizer component in it. Usually a form of Zinc.
The idea of replacing once a year, usually at end of season, is so that any condensation in the engine oil is removed and the new oil has better Acid neutralizer and so your engine is then sitting pretty for the Winter months.
As long as you use an oil that meets the specs of the Engine manufacturer, you don't have to go expensive if you regularly change it.
However, those cheap Oil packs JUST meet spec and it is best to ensure you don't go for extended periods between changes.

For the engine I had, it held a lot of Oil and it was a major PiA to change. So I used a top end Synth Oil. I do the same with my Vehicles as well. For instance, with my V8, I change the Filter every 10k Kms and the Oil every 30k Kms and have even gone as far as 50k Kms once. 

#6 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

I read somewhere you should change the filter every second oil change as the the filters performance improved after 5000km's,

but then should be changed at 10000 km's to avoid opening bypass.

Fact or fiction?

I change oil and filter on the Yanmar every 100hrs based on average speed of 60km/hr.  :?

Same with the Hilux.

#7 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:02 AM

Lycoming aircraft motors run at close to red line for 2000hrs before they are considered 'used enough' to go into the shop for a big once over. Aircraft motor failures are rare. Every 50 hours they change the oil in those motors.

Mainfreight et al rely on big truck motors for their business. I know Mainfreight go to extraordinary lengths** to maximise up time and minimise down time. They are uber anal about motor servicing and insist it is regular and in that the oil is changed.

Race cars are anal and need reliable motors, they change the oil in them frequently.

Litre class motorcycles, most performance ones, have some reasonably advanced motors these days. All recommend frequent oil changes for motor longevity. In the case of my 1079cc Kawasaki not hugely fancy motor, every 7000km. I recently did 4500km in under 3 weeks.

When I had my diesel Toymotor LandTractor everyone said '10,000km change oil and filters, it'll then last forever', which I did.

My Ssingsong fleet are diesels and they have moved to 15,000km between oil changes, which does seem to be a bit of a trend. Ssingsong told me that is due to better synthetic oils. Whatever they use is weird, it sits on a dipstick and 'beads' a bit like water on a polished window. But it seems to work. They did, like a few other manufacturers, make a big deal out of that 10K to 15K change.

So no idea about your motor Chris but if the mobs who do need constant long term reliability are all anal about frequent oil changes that suggests to me doing them to your motor would be a good thing.

I did them on the LandTractor, the first was a bit of a messy shambles but after that it was easy peasy and didn't take much time or effort. 

** - As a slight aside, Mainfreight did a study on their fleet about 5 years ago and found the old thinking that you start big diesels and let them run for 5+ minutes to warm up before driving them, which they insisted the drivers should do, turned out to be wrong and very wasteful with fuel. They found starting them then leaving them for only 20-30 seconds was enough to ensure the oil was flowing around the motor before they drove off. So they changed the policy to suit and have saved a pile of time and a huge amount of fuel use. It may have been Daily Freight but they are now Mainfreight owned anyway.

#8 Aleana

Aleana

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,365 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

Yes an old Swiss engineer once told me change the oil of any engine 2x recommended frequency and enjoy good health...

You can judge a person by how much they help someone who can do nothing for them in return.

#9 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,715 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

but then should be changed at 10000 km's to avoid opening bypass.

Fact or fiction?

Fiction. The Fiction will cause Friction. ;-) The Filter is all about surface area of the paper material and thus how much the filter can hold before the bypass opens and just lets the dirty oil flow around the engine.
Leaving the filter too long will mean the chance of the by pass opening is far greater and the dirty oil free flowing is far greater than any very fine bits that manage to get through the filter.

There are good filters and there are great filters. Very rare that you come across bad filters. With the normal brand names around, it is more about the amount the filter can hold.

Many of the Long haul trucks use multiple remote from engine fitted filters and some use " Spinners" which are centrifugal filters.

#10 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

Km  The modern truck is now 30 thou before an oil change,and with auto box start n go,the old road ranger had sit for a few minutes clicking hi/low to warm it up. 

Back to Chrics canel boat,after siting there for what 3 or 4 months I think it would make sense to change

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users