What would you like from an online store?

We are in the process of a major reconfiguration and instead of blindly going forward we want to ask our target market what they want from an online store.

What products, features, options do you like to see in an online store?

Everything. Really cheap pricing, no delays and great aftersales service.

Bottom line is everybodys boat is different as is their idea of whats cool, what colour, size, weight, material is best.

Its one of lifes great challenges.

We are always looking for providing the best price.

We plan to have our prices the same as the mainstream retailers BUT with the shipping component included in the price.

Most buyers know exactly what they are after prior to heading to the chandlery. Why not take the trip to the shop out of the equation. and let your fingers do the walking......

We plan to have our prices the same as the mainstream retailers BUT with the shipping component included in the price.

Most buyers know exactly what they are after prior to heading to the chandlery. Why not take the trip to the shop out of the equation. and let your fingers do the walking......

Sounds like a fail to me. The only reason to buy online is for a better price. Otherwise go to a retailer & then you can poke it, prod it and measure it. If you don't have premises & staff then why charge as much as the big expensive 3 unless you are just profiteering?

Sounds like a fail to me. The only reason to buy online is for a better price. Otherwise go to a retailer & then you can poke it, prod it and measure it. If you don't have premises & staff then why charge as much as the big expensive 3 unless you are just profiteering?

+1. Best prices will get my money, free delivery - nope.

Theres already a dedicated online chandlery - 100%marine.co.nz, but their prices arent consistantly the best, hence i still end up buying else where.

Because of the risk of needing real, face-to-face after sales service. To be attractive online needs to add options not reduce them especially with potentially high-value items like marine kit. Otherwise, people will cherry pick and only buy the low risk stuff that can't really break and still go to the store for the major stuff.

OK so seriously then.

What products? well you need just about everything. And none of this, Will hsip in 3-7 days rubbish. Because that makes it obvious that you don't hold stock. If you don't hold stock, then you can't be buying in Bulk and that does not make you competitive.

Just about every retailer with a shop in NZ also has a website. And then there are those that advertise on Trademe and Ebay. So how do you become different?? That is really a question that you have to ask yourself and answer yourself. "How can I have a point of difference?" Some of those points have already been answered here. Those comments come from the frustration we have all had in the past of dealing on line. But the main point of any of us buying on line is that we are pure and simply looking for two things. Information on the product and a big saving to be made.

Product information is what makes or breaks a website. You have to have lots of detailed info. the more info the better. Good pictures, good information and none of this "under constructrion" business. Get it right and put it up, don't go in half hearted.

Almost a no questions asked business of returns and putting it right and all those normal issues we all often have. Buying from a shop means we can get face to face with a real person to discuss an issue. On line is difficult, so you have to go beyond the normal call of duty to make buyers feel safe and happy.

Now here is the biggy.

For those that buy on line, they tend to look everywhere. The world is small now. As discussed in another thread, we can get some great deals overseas. I can order something and have it here in three days from the US. So you need to compete with that.

If you have no experience in Chandlery, you are pushing it uphill.

If you have no experience in online retailing, you are using a rake to push with.

Because of the risk of needing real, face-to-face after sales service. To be attractive online needs to add options not reduce them especially with potentially high-value items like marine kit. Otherwise, people will cherry pick and only buy the low risk stuff that can't really break and still go to the store for the major stuff.

We plan to offer the low risk items that don't usually have a high return rate. As I said earlier most people know what they want but are on the look out for the best deal. We are going to be using NZ based suppliers for our products. I know one of our suppliers would rather deal with product service/ problems as they have had trouble in the past with over zealous "servicing" by agents.

I brougt some stuff from Smart marine the other week...

Found their online store to be good, well priced, and prompt after sale emails with info on shipping details, and a query on one item.

I'm thinking that given the options out there...you would need to be more than matching "retail" costs.

I'll likely buy from smart marine again..... :thumbup:

If your going to do a web site for

"the low risk items that don't usually have a high return rate."

Your going for a market that will want to pay LESS for your service.

Why would one buy from a website when one can often get a good price from a company that has a shop also...and a web presence.

I run my own web sales site, and it's certainly not an easy street to get customers...and price is usually the driver...convienience the other. There are alternates out there now...so there goes your convienience value add.....which brings things back to who's willing to sell with shipping at the lowest price.

It's the kind of game that lowers the margin to the entire market...and while good for us as the consumer- not usually good for the companies running a fine line on staying in the game.

OK so seriously then.

What products? well you need just about everything. And none of this, Will hsip in 3-7 days rubbish. Because that makes it obvious that you don't hold stock. If you don't hold stock, then you can't be buying in Bulk and that does not make you competitive.

Wheels, your basing your advice on false assumptions/ignorance. There are ways of getting bulk buying discounts without bulk buying, we call it 'price break rebating'. Holding stock costs alot of money (read, adds cost), and with just-in-time ordering, companies can eliminate stock holding whilst only adding a day or two to delivery, if at all. Personally, if im buying online, im prepared to wait a few days for the item, and if you're getting a great price, a few days longer is worth the wait.

OK so seriously then.

Wheels, your basing your advice on false assumptions/ignorance. There are ways of getting bulk buying discounts without bulk buying, we call it 'price break rebating'. Holding stock costs alot of money (read, adds cost), and with just-in-time ordering, companies can eliminate stock holding whilst only adding a day or two to delivery, if at all. Personally, if im buying online, im prepared to wait a few days for the item, and if you're getting a great price, a few days longer is worth the wait.

Agree there.

Loads of companies use our warehouse as "their stock"- with EDI website interfaces loading our on stock details into their systems (ie acquire.co.nz)

For me- unless it's something I need urgently- I'm happy waiting a few days to a week for something if the price is right.

If i need it urgently....I'll whip to the nearest shop and pay retail for it, and curse my disorganisation....

If your stock is coming from NZ suppliers then you are selling the same stuff as everyone else.It would be good if you could offer alternative choices.

Most buyers know exactly what they are after prior to heading to the chandlery.
Having lots of everyday real life experience I did laugh at that :lol:

Toles you lazy SOB, you brought online when you drive past them 10 times a week :)

Toles you lazy SOB, you brought online when you drive past them 10 times a week :)

If I don't come in, it means I dont come out with any additional crap I don't really need!

I don't need MORE accessories. I'm coming to grips with that.

Ahh... so you are slowly learning the difference between 'want' and 'need'. We wondered if that would ever happen.... Mr I love my toys Toles :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I don't come in, it means I dont come out with any additional crap I don't really need!

Or a new keel? :silent:

Archived