What would you like from an online store?

Toles you lazy SOB, you brought online when you drive past them 10 times a week :)

If I don't come in, it means I dont come out with any additional crap I don't really need!

I don't need MORE accessories. I'm coming to grips with that.

Or a new keel? :silent:

The Keel hasn't fallen off......The rudder was a little loose though so were replacing the......bearings ;) :thumbup:

With all luck no one will take to the keel with a hole saw while I'm not looking...... :wtf:

Whats that? Thread drift..... :crazy:

Wheels, your basing your advice on false assumptions/ignorance. T

Gee Tuffyluffy, that's a bit harsh ain't it? And really, same can be said for your comment, because you have no idea of my experiance. But moving right along.

Actually what i was meaning in my comment didn't come out right. I am NOT talking about arriving in say 3 day to 5 days, that is quite acceptable. I am talking about "Will Ship in 3 to 5 days". To be fair, this kind of comment is found on sites like Trademe and more commonly Ebay. And it means one thing. The thing is coming from China and it takes about 3 days at the fastest to get it all organised to be shipped, then you have to wait for it to arrive.

Apologies Wheels, i'll be a bit more delicate next time.

I was referring to your comment...

Because that makes it obvious that you don't hold stock. If you don't hold stock, then you can't be buying in Bulk and that does not make you competitive.

..which isnt true. If you negotiate volume based rebates with suppliers you dont need to purchase and hold bulk stock to get bulk pricing.

Yep I totally agree. As i said, it wasn't actually what I was meaning to say. Early morning equals a scrambled brain for me. I was actually driving around the sound to Linkwater yesterday morning thinking about what I had written and suddenly thought, "oh no I worded that all totaly wrong". I'm worried what I will be like when I get to 80 :wink:

Don't worry about getting to "80" Alan just get on that lump of concrete of yours and get out there, I had hoped you would have circumnavigated the South Island by now and were posting all the things I might have to look out for when I get around 2 doing it!!

Well I can point out one Rock to becareful of. I did the kindly seafearer thing and marked it with blue Anti-foul for you.

Hopefully next year will be a trip up north with the Boat. But for several years now, I have said to Dawn that we should take it to Banks Pen just to say we did it. Maybe we should try fitting it in before we go North.

North is good North is warm, plentiful anchorages, look forward to seeing you up here, Down side is that the local authorities are not far behind the Marlborough one in enacting restrictive, costly legislation. They recorded all moorings in the Kaipara yet there isn't anyone with the gear to service them, doesn't stop them charging though.

Most buyers know exactly what they are after prior to heading to the chandlery.

Really? I suspect that you are off the mark there. Yes there are plenty of knowledgeable people out there, and alot of people who think they know lots but know squat, and those who know little and know it. And a few in between.

So you need to cater for all levels of expertise in sailing/boating. I don't have any answer to that but to assume your market knows what it is doing is incorrect.

By the way, I agree with all comments on pricing - why should I pay you the same price and wait for 3 or so days when I can drive past any number of chandleries and get advice, and a real look & feel of the products. Also most of them will accept a return if unused etc, and I won't have to courier it back to them, I'll do it when driving past.

Good luck with your venture, I hope you can make it work though. :thumbup:

I think what he was meaning AA, is that most people walk into a shop with the intention of or possibility of buying something. Even though some may have just walked in for a browse around, they still have in the back of their mind, "maybe there could be a real steal here" and take a wander around. It's very different to Sales reping where you try and sell something to someone that had gone to work that day with no intention what so ever of buying something.

Something I would like to see and so far I don't think I have ever come across it, is a site that gives some description as to what is better about that model from another model. Features and benifits. Untill someone actually does that, then you really have to go see the "oh wise one" behind the counter.

I tell ya what though, I do think many more buyers are becoming "skilled up" in their knowledge of products now. I haven't found this in a Chandlery shop yet, but the chain stores like Hardly Normal is common place to have some dick either has no clue, or the comments he makes are complete crap. I usually just say, Oh OK, I will get back to you then and walk away never to return. I will always buy form the Person that has explained well with out being pushy and has gone out of their way for you as a customer, even if it meant i paid just a little more.

Archived