wetmaps.co.nz

Just stumbled across this website, bloody brilliant.

Flick between LINZ charts, Navionics Sonar, Navionics nav, Satellite, Street, the whole shebang.

And uses location services so GPS enabled.

Chapeau whoever did that!

^ Funny, I was just doing that a couple of days ago. Just enable location , use google maps and toggle between default and Google earth, gets you close enough to find the pegs, depending on the satellites.

^ Funny, I was just doing that a couple of days ago. Just enable location , use google maps and toggle between default and Google earth, gets you close enough to find the pegs, depending on the satellites.

A huh, I'm assuming you used the council website and put in the GPS co-ordinates for the pegs on your device?

My problem is that the pegs are 100m+ apart on a hilly, bushclad site, with no line of site and i want to walk the boundary line. Its not easy and i assumed there would be an app for it, but no luck finding one yet!

The "app" for that was invented more than 2000 years ago by Han Dynasty Chinese. It's called a compass. Set the bearing you want and walk the bearing, keeping the needle on your bearing. You can get an electronic gps app to do the same. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

A huh, I'm assuming you used the council website and put in the GPS co-ordinates for the pegs on your device?

My problem is that the pegs are 100m+ apart on a hilly, bushclad site, with no line of site and i want to walk the boundary line. Its not easy and i assumed there would be an app for it, but no luck finding one yet!

No , if you zoom in on maps it shows the boundary lines. I also used paper with measurements and bearings from our land title stuff to find one and get a parameter for error in the GPS position.

No , if you zoom in on maps it shows the boundary lines. I also used paper with measurements and bearings from our land title stuff to find one and get a parameter for error in the GPS position.

Ahh, got it thx! The boundary lines are only visible on certain base maps that I hadn't explored.

Ahh, got it thx! The boundary lines are only visible on certain base maps that I hadn't explored.

When I use the location and toggle between maps and the Google earth program I use for navigating the error on the day is the same... logical I suppose. But that error can often bearound or up to 6 metres. Which of course might mean it's 3 metres away or none or 6 metres.

Which is just another little beware reminder about GPS and micro managing your actual position when on the water and threading the reefs. Oh Yadua,what a clench you were.

Anyway , as I said earlier, using maps for the peg location plus eyeballing the error on the day relative to a known peg position was useful, found all sorts of little surprises hidden in the punga.

Be a dam site easier if that crew orger with the 150k gps theodelite thingy would just come and visit.