43 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Shot

Hot Shot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

Back in 2012 I crewed for Jon Henry in the SSANZ around NZ race. Down the west coast of the North Island we hit some not so pleasant weather and along with two other competitors we ended up sheltering in Golden Bay at the top of the South Island for a couple of days when we thought the worst of it was over we rejoined the race only to find that the sea state was a pain and we had a problem with one of the jib sheets so we headed into the fiords to find calm water of sort out the problem. Two hours later we were back in the race with wind on the nose

and the swell from a completely different direction. when we tacked over later in the afternoon the sea was still very uncomfortable and as we figured we were well of the pace now we headed for another fiord were ( with the wind hitting 50 kts ) we anchored up for a very peaceful night.

O.K finishing with the old story now what all this is leading to is I would love to do a more leisurely cruise through fiordland and everyone I have talked to about sharing my dream has expanded it into a cruise around NZ.

SO  anyone interested in joining us next summer?   

#2 ex Elly

ex Elly

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • LocationWesthaven

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

Are you looking for crew, or wanting a support vessel?

#3 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

When I was talking to him about it the other day the idea was a cruise in company, not all going together just contacts of boats wanting to sail clockwise around NZ ?
Thinking that you would probably all catchup at some point along the line but probably not all at once.
Each would decide their own departures but try to have some key dates that you may be say in Golden Bay, Fiordland, Stewart Is etc.
Lots of us talk about doing this type of thing but very few do and if there was a group of say 6 boats with the same or similar plan then the collective knowledge can possibly make it happen.

The best sailors do it two handed

#4 AlastairW

AlastairW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDunedin

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

We're looking to do this from early December, and taking a leisurely 6 months over it, but going up the East and down the West coasts. Starting from Dunedin, and aiming to be back down in Fiordland/Stewart Island for the more settled period of March - April. Paths could cross......

#5 Hot Shot

Hot Shot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

6 months is more than I could hope to get away with, but working on being in the Fiords in March would work for me. As Jon said the main thing for me is to know that there will be other cruising boats around. 

As I said at the start of this the fiords are my main interest and after getting a copy of the book Beneath the Reflections produced by Fiordland Marine Guardians my enthusiasm to explore this part of New Zealand has increased to the point where I am sure I can make it happen.   

#6 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

I sailed down there 2 years ago it's well worth the effort,I read somewhere you now need some sort of certificate to say your antifouling is up to date or something now cant remember where I saw it.Bollocks really when you see how many cruise ships pass through.Put the trip on your bucket list though only saw 2 other yachts while we were down there.

#7 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:39 AM

6 months is more than I could hope to get away with, but working on being in the Fiords in March would work for me. As Jon said the main thing for me is to know that there will be other cruising boats around. 

As I said at the start of this the fiords are my main interest and after getting a copy of the book Beneath the Reflections produced by Fiordland Marine Guardians my enthusiasm to explore this part of New Zealand has increased to the point where I am sure I can make it happen.   

Some interesting videos of a guy who did the South Island a couple of years ago on a Lotus 9.2. Google Taranto.

#8 AlastairW

AlastairW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationDunedin

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

I sailed down there 2 years ago it's well worth the effort,I read somewhere you now need some sort of certificate to say your antifouling is up to date or something now cant remember where I saw it.Bollocks really when you see how many cruise ships pass through.Put the trip on your bucket list though only saw 2 other yachts while we were down there.

You need to make a declaration (I think you do it on-line) that your hull is clean before you get into the fiords, and are liable to be inspected - don't ask me where or how. It's probably on the Environment Southland web site somewhere. As you say though, look at the number of cruise ships and fishing boats around down there.

#9 Elenya

Elenya

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:32 PM

#10 Elenya

Elenya

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

Why is it dumb?

Both cruise ships and fishing vessels undergo the same controls and are inspected by divers.

I can understand that you are not aware of the controls and checks in place. Perhaps an email to those organisations running the system outlining how they may advertise and/or post on such sites as crew.org may be more appropriate.

As with lots of things you can be part of the problem, or part of the solution. The choice is always yours.

I like to try and help or coast free from pests and invasive species. Cleaning the boat is a base level option but not base enough for some unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users