Photo

To qualify for NZ superannuation should overseas visitors, immigrants refugees qualify for it after 10 years as at present living in NZ or 25 years.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: 10 years or 25 years living, working in NZ to qualify for the free NZ superannuation at age 65. (13 member(s) have cast votes)

10 years or 25 years IMMIGRANTS REFUGEES living, working in NZ to qualify for the free NZ superannuation at age 65.

1. 10 years NO. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 10 years yes (4 votes [30.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

3. 25 years Yes (6 votes [46.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

4. 25 years No. (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. 30 years Yes (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

6. 30 years No. (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Do not care. (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Do not know (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you agree that the NZ superannuation at 65 should be tax free knowning that the gov't workers scheme, the police force, the MP'S, the judges, the judiciary, Gov't workers schemes are all tax free.

1. Yes (6 votes [46.15%] - View)

2. No. (5 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

3. Do not care. (2 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

Do you think that overseas immigrants, overseas visitors, overseas working holiday visitors after only 12 months, even they do not have NZ citizenship can vote in our NZ political parliamentary general election as at present they can do. Aussie IS NO

1. No (6 votes [46.15%] - View)

2. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Do not care. (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Do not know (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Hell NO ! (7 votes [53.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Locationon the waters and else where

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

There is no asset testing on pensions or is there?? Australian pension is means tested from memory??

But so is the NZ pension. Kiwi saver,many(including myself)have signed up and it will effect what we you get from the govt pension.

Pay income while working,pay tax on kiwi saver investments.

The accommodation allowance, disability allowance is means tested I think. Not sure.

Disagree with you argument re the 10 year period and some living on the dole. The 10 year qualifying period What's motivating them to come to NZ because it's such a polluted, contaminated place or to be even more gready by retiring  early at 60 and get a pension that's is not means tested for free at the expenses of NZders  that were born here and some who parents that worked all there lives paying huge taxes also and died before they reached aged 65 and got nothing from the super fund?

©  2013 2014 2015

ADVANCING MULTIHULL SAILOR ORGANIZER NAVIGATOR.

OCEAN COMBINED CRUISER / RACER ADVANCING MEMBER.

#32 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

I'm not to sure it's that easy. For a start that structure is likely to invoke MNZ issues as in could mark the boat 'commercial' and require the boat to be in survey...... POOF your savings have been rolled by 10 times more compliance costs. There is alos possible fringe benefit issues.

Contrary to what many still seem to think he days of scamming all manner of stuff through business and interesting financial 'structures' are well over. Sure many do still try, you see them in the headlines often usually next to terms like investigation, SFO, police and courts.

If it was that easy my boats would be in the companies books but even though they are used and do have gear on them no other boats in NZ have (for evaluation, testing, new products etc) and one of the companies is very marine, but they aren't.

Not to my understanding KM...MB You only need a marine survey if you intend to carry fare paying passengers, which makes it a commercial venture / boat . No fringe benefit tax as it is a private vessel for private use. If for your example on the companies books you could claim depreciation like a company car, and repairs, running expenses etc.

See an accountant.

©  2013 2014 2015

#33 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

There is no asset testing on pensions or is there?? Australian pension is means tested from memory??

But so is the NZ pension. Kiwi saver,many(including myself)have signed up and it will effect what we you get from the govt pension.

Pay income while working,pay tax on kiwi saver investments.

So should "Puffs" client be allowed a pension?? yes,, paid $6 mil in ten yrs in tax but not knowing is this through investing in NZ through employing staff or investments I do know .Paid a hell of a lot more + some who are kiwis living on the dole,sucking the govt tit on state houses hospitals etc never worked or going to work and when they turn 65 get a bloody pension.

HARRYTOM there are a lot on NZ paying the same and do not qualify after ten years in NZ and be able to retire at 60. Like for example Air NZ staff. The company invests heaps in NZ and the international  Pilots are on $200,000 plus and the pilots pay heaps in TAX and do not qualify like immigrants. Similarly NZ senior surgeons in our hospitals earning $500 a hour do not qualify but overseas surgeons earning the same do. IS that fair? hell no. Totally unacceptable.

©  2013 2014 2015

#34 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

Not to my understanding KM...MB You only need a marine survey if you intend to carry fare paying passengers, which makes it a commercial venture / boat . No fringe benefit tax as it is a private vessel for private use. If for your example on the companies books you could claim depreciation like a company car, and repairs, running expenses etc.

See an accountant.

Sorry but your understanding is wrong.

Very recently I sold my last commercial vessel. It never once took a passenger but it was in Survey, it had to be by law. Not one of my commercial vessels were passenger craft yet ALL had to be in survey.

Dude, I have commercial and recreational and accountants. If there was a way I could scam more out of the company for the boats rest assured I would have. I am talking in a fully legal complaint way, not a manner that is illegal or too close to the line.

You are mixing some private stuff with business stuff.

#35 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,571 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

KM is right. Very basically any vessel that is not being used for pleasure by the owner, friends or family, is considered commercial. 

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#36 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:48 PM

Sorry but your understanding is wrong.

Very recently I sold my last commercial vessel. It never once took a passenger but it was in Survey, it had to be by law. Not one of my commercial vessels were passenger craft yet ALL had to be in survey.

Dude, I have commercial and recreational and accountants. If there was a way I could scam more out of the company for the boats rest assured I would have. I am talking in a fully legal complaint way, not a manner that is illegal or too close to the line.

You are mixing some private stuff with business stuff.

That's hard to understand unless you where using it for business entertainment purposes which is very different what I suggested for Black Panther.

©  2013 2014 2015

#37 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

KM is right. Very basically any vessel that is not being used for pleasure by the owner, friends or family, is considered commercial. 

Agree, but that's not what I suggested to BP.

©  2013 2014 2015

#38 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

That's hard to understand unless you where using it for business entertainment purposes which is very different what I suggested for Black Panther.

Many laws in NZ make no sense.

With boats, amongst other things, you have many Govt Depts in the mix and they all have their hands out.

I put one yacht in to the company as it is used to test gear and techniques (which it actually does do), which is fine for the IRD. But MNZ said errrr... that's commercial use so it has to be in survey.  Due to the bullshit cost and wanking around involved in survey it was cheaper to pull the boat out of the company so we did. Now the company 'sponsors' the boat, so a similar end result just without a lot of the wankery. The key word being sponsor. If I said 'pays the boat' and the company is paying to have the products etc tested then the boat becomes commercial again so has to go into survey.

My reading of what you suggested for BP is to sell the private boat into a commercial entity and then use that commercial entity to claim expenses etc back on the boat. That makes the boat commercial which then means it has to comply with many other laws private boats don't.

I think what you suggested was one of the 'dodges' that used to be used before they tweak the laws to stop it.

#39 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

No that's not what I suggested. Read my post again. Superannuates with private houses and private boats under the accommodation allowance can claim mortgage and I assume house, boat  loans, various expenses involved in home ownership or rent paid which amounts to at present $100 pw which is added to the super FN payment = $200 per payment, $400 per month. In their definition house ownership they also state a boat is accepted as a house if you are living on it. That's is very different from what you are trying to clarify and is additionally is very informative. Thanks' for your contribution.

©  2013 2014 2015

#40 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

Superannuitant
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users