Photo

School teachers and School teachers principals pay and conditions negotiations.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Poll: School teachers and School teachers principals pay and conditions negotiations. (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Most teachers say they work 70 hours P.W which = $22.00 P. Hour while the avg hourly Rate is $33.00 P.H. The Gov't offer for the two year past period is $10, 000 spread over 3 years. The offer should be $20,000 P.A. or more ..

1. YES (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Do not Know (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Mosti Cabinet Ministers earn nearly $300,000 around $250,000 more than the average NZ salary of around $50,000. A backbench MP with no additional responsibilities earns $160,000, while p teacher salary starts at $48,000...

1. Gov't Offer should be 25,000 P.A immediately as the class rooms and new schools canot be built for another 3 years in order class room sizes can be reduced (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Gov't Offer should be 30,000 P.A immediately as the class rooms and new schools canot be built for another 3 years in order class room sizes can be reduced (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Gov't Offer should be 35,000 P.A immediately as the class rooms and new schools canot be built for another 3 years in order class room sizes can be reduced (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

4. Gov't Offer should be 37,500, P.A immediately as the class rooms and new schools canot be built for another 3 years in order class room sizes can be reduced (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Gov't Offer should be 40,000 P.A immediately as the class rooms and new schools canot be built for another 3 years in order class room sizes can be reduced (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Do not know (2 votes [28.57%] - View)

Is the Teachers and teachers principal strike justified and I support the teachers strike and demands %100 unconditionally .

1. Yes (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Do not know (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#11 Hurts

Hurts

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:00 PM

I think a simple poll along the following lines would say lots.

The pay options on the table for someone new to the game and for their first 3 years in the job are -
$48,000
$160,000 plus lots of perks

The professions are -
Teaching
MP

Match the salaries to the professions to reflect how you feel their over all value is to NZ society.

Of course teachers contribute more than MPs but there are 50,000 of them. The top 100 best teachers also probably contribute more than the 100 MP’s but, due to the union they all get paid the same as the bottom 100.

I’d rather be a teacher than an MP, they get far more respect and job satisfaction generally BUT you do need MPs who aren’t completely retarded (otherwise we are all screwed) hence the pay difference - offer me 160K to be an MP and I’d tell you to get stuffed.

#12 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:04 PM

Where do you get the 70 hours per week from?

Many do ,its not a 9.00 to 3.00/3.30 mon/fri

Most are at school by 8.00 do not leave till 4.30 go home mark exams,set out next days work. Secondary teachers may teach yr 9 today then yr 13 tomorrow,chip in $$ where students are unable to pay for a trip etc after school exam coaching,sports

Australian equivalent   $92,148  https://au.indeed.co...eacher-Salaries

New Zealand NZ$61,813 https://www.payscale..._Teacher/Salary

Australia class size 28 students

New Zealand class size  33 at my boys school

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#13 wild violet

wild violet

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

If you don't like your pay maybe change professions,Its like people buying a house by a motorway then complaining about the noise,everyone knows teaching pay is low.I did an adult apprenticeship at 30 best thing I ever did.

#14 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

If you don't like your pay maybe change professions,Its like people buying a house by a motorway then complaining about the noise,everyone knows teaching pay is low.I did an adult apprenticeship at 30 best thing I ever did.

The problem is not so much the pay,but the pay in the bigger centres doesnt cover mortage/rent.

Yes thats the problem we all have. Except in Teachers/Doctors?nurse etc it is a public service that they are performing educating our children so they can later in life chose better vocations. If all the teachers did what you suggest what will happen to the children with no education???? There would be many calling them bludgers and yours/mine tax would increase to the point,why the hell am I working??

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#15 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

The problem is, the teachers have been listening to you on this. That is why there is a teacher shortage.

Personally, I think the teachers unions need to tread a bit more carefully. The unions rolled over and had their belly tickled whilst getting shafted by 9 yrs of National govt. Now they have a govt that will listen, they are all of a sudden being very hard nosed and belligerent. This govt has already implemented a number of moves that the teachers were desperately clamoring for, ditching national standards, ditching charter schools etc...

Does anyone actually know how many $$'s is being offered and how many $$ is being demanded? I think teachers should be paid more, but none of the coverage in the media has any details in it.

#16 erice

erice

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:49 AM

The Government has offered primary and secondary school teachers $1.2 billion worth of pay rises and other improvements

“The current teachers’ claims would cost the Government $3.9 billion - which on a like for like basis is a third of total new Government spending in the last Budget

“Our offers will see most primary school teachers get a pay rise of $10,000 over the next two years.

https://www.beehive....st-offer-decade

ACT NOW!

don't wait for everyone else

to save you from yourself

#17 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,643 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

The issue is not primarily one of pay, its conditions and resources. And it needs to be updated to modern requirements.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#18 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:55 AM

Personally, I think the teachers unions need to tread a bit more carefully.

Agree. Behind many pay claims is a union that's done a sub-standard job.

Unions know this Government would not have got there without their support in all areas inc very large sums of coin, so they want payback for that support. Why this seems a surprise to so many is beyond me, it was inevitable.

#19 philstar

philstar

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

I do think that the teachers are currently underpaid, but I think the current offer is pretty fair. 

I don't agree with the 9 years of neglect argument, National was incentivising teachers to work in Auckland and creating hugely successful charter schools which paid goo teachers more.

Labour has scrapped all these !!

Any teacher working 70 hours a week is either brand new at the job or extremely inefficient!

The teacher shortage was solved pretty quickly by bringing in willing teachers from oversea's.

It can't be too bad a job, I keep getting facebook message from my teacher friends busy mountain biking, skiing and cruising in the holidays. 

#20 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,643 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

Can't agree. Let's see here. My grandad was a school principal, mum to. My wife is a preschool teacher. All of them, and most of their long term teaching friends work WAY more than 40 hour weeks. Jo does 3-4 hours extra each evening, and most weekends. The kids education and wellbeing is her priority. Her work is renowned for being able to manage "difficult" kids (and often parents to). Police are there often. Cyps are involved weekly, but only in very bad cases. Many more children require help they can't get. Teachers try to provide what they can. Holiday periods are no longer holidays, at least 1/2 the time now they are "on call" if not actually at work. This is a job that requires real dedication, it certainly is not done for the $.
Private centres generally pay less, have fewer qualified staff, and higher child to teacher ratios.
Rules and regs in this sector are more complex every year. There is a large paperwork component. Teachers come home with bruises, but can't defend themselves....
Unfortunately, over the years, salaries and conditions have been eroded by successive governments relying on the dedication of teachers to keep going regardless. Time for an equalisation.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users