Something Big

SloopJohnB

How clever of them to build such a vessel.Too bad they couldnt figure out how to stack the containers athwartship so they didnt fall off so easy. :lol:

Around 7200lts per hour. Heavy fuel oil rather than 95 :)

Mind you the motor is a gentle 109,000 hp, weights 2,300 TONNES, is 13.5mts high, 27.3mts long, 2 stroke 14 cylinder diesel that cruises between 92 and 102 RPM :shock:

Her sister ships -

Estelle Mærsk

Eleonora Mærsk

Evelyn Mærsk

Ebba Mærsk

Elly Mærsk

Edith Mærsk

Eugen Mærsk

Here's a shot from above via google maps - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=odense&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=0&ll=55.469696,10.532198&spn=0.003479,0.016823&z=16&iwloc=addr

Mr Rigger, would I be right in assuming one of these beast won't ever be seen here as they are too big of a beast?

Assuming it also drank 95, what Emma and her sisters use in one hour would keep my boat going for around 100 years, my wagon for 2 years odd and the weed eater probably until the end of time :lol:

Shite that's some fuel burn when you look at it that way.

If you look at it as a 747 it's knot so good. 7200lts only gets one of those about 600 kms while cruising.

Mr Rigger, would I be right in assuming one of these beast won't ever be seen here as they are too big of a beast?

Assuming it also drank 95, what Emma and her sisters use in one hour would keep my boat going for around 100 years, my wagon for 2 years odd and the weed eater probably until the end of time :lol:

If you look at it as a 747 it's knot so good. 7200lts only gets one of those about 600 kms while cruising.

At this time a little big - have been told she has a draft of 15m, the main channel is dredged to 12.5m at CD.

On the fuel figures how about this - 26000L/day, 4.5knots, 45m long - a little tug towing a barge total length of tug & tow ~1000metres

Yup these ships plying the oceans are actually one of the biggest CO2 polluters on the planet, if you're worried about who the main 'carbon sinners' are.

Yup these ships plying the oceans are actually one of the biggest CO2 polluters on the planet, if you're worried about who the main 'carbon sinners' are.

I think you need to put it into perspective - imagine the CO2 put into the atmosphere if all that cargo was carried by aircraft rather than ships.

I think you need to put it into perspective - imagine the CO2 put into the atmosphere if all that cargo was carried by aircraft rather than ships.

True but it's why the most radical greenies argue against globalisation cos they say why do this to the planet by shipping sh*t from one country to another, why not make and consume what you need locally, like in the old days. Kind of a bit too late now but you get the point!

Ummmm, well up till recent years, that's exactly what China and the Us was doing and the result was, China= Poor, USA= Rich. Now we have trade and USA= becoming poor, China- Becoming rich. I wonder if things will eventually balance :roll:

Which means the only things to come from globalisation is (1) you can buy coke and McDreadful anywhere you go on holiday (2) the poor can now claim redistribution of wealth from the rich and (3) online users can bitch about different marine product prices around the world.

Archived