Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

https://www.outsideo...cular-dystrophy

Nice read
When we sailed from Europe to NZ I’d love to have been given a $ for every time someone said I’d love to do what your doing but I’d be scared of the “what if’s”

As for living aboard you will learn much more about boat handling if you only occasionally go into marinas or the likes of Whangārei basin
Mobile internet isn’t as as cheap as wifi in town however if your at anchor your not paying marinas and depending on the work your wife does an unlimited data plan and one week a month tied up will be cheaper than living in a house in Invergiggle plus you will eat fresh fish every second day at least
The best sailors do it two handed

#22 bluesail

bluesail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

Lots of good advice guys, cheers. 

Thanks lateral about not rushing to buy or getting attached too early.   It can be hard to fight those urges when we have death threats or bottles/rocks/etc. thrown at our house here.  But I also don't want to end up bad situation because we were rushing out of here.

I do expect that even a "perfect" boat to have lots of things that need replacement.  Just like buying a house, we had a builder's inspection and he didn't find several problems.  Right now all our money is tied up in equity in this house.  Then being stuck geographically so far away also limits our almost all our options. 

We had another idea and wanted to see what you guys think.   First, sell our home here and put a small amount of things we really care about into storage.  Stick the funds of the house sale into savings.  Then travel north and try to find a boat we could rent as a live aboard for say three to six months?  This would only be to trial living on the boat see how we liked it.  Hopefully being on the water and up north we could find opportunities to sail as crew/etc on other boats and learn to sail during this process. 

If stuff hit the fan or for any reason or we didn't tolerate the lifestyle we wouldn't have to worry about trying to selling a boat.  We would still have "some" things left in storage and our car.  Otherwise if it worked out we could just fly back down here and sell off the rest.

It is still risky as my wife might have issues with job working from boat.  (she takes calls via voip and works over vpn and wireless not best for that)  However there are more options to work up north at same time if that happened.  I'm also not sure where we would even look to find a boat to rent like that.  I noticed many marinas had rules preventing such activities without written permission.

On another note, my wife and I were quite keen on this this Beale 33 (design/layout/etc) any comments about it? 

https://www.trademe....-2174994822.htm

#23 Tillsbury

Tillsbury

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:52 PM

That's a hell of a lot of money for a 30-year-old 33-footer...   isn't it?

#24 bluesail

bluesail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

That's a hell of a lot of money for a 30-year-old 33-footer...   isn't it?

Sorry, I was really thinking more along the lines of good boat design for liveaboard and coastal cruising.  No where near ready to buy at this stage just getting ideas and such.

#25 Tazzy Devil

Tazzy Devil

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:06 PM

I’d be looking at some of the townson/cav/pacific 36 boats before something like that Beale. Loads cheaper and will get yo where you need to go. All old boats will need work if you can get something for 15k that only needs a few little tidy ups you’ll be better off. Then if you are keen buy your dream boat and go. You won’t care if you have to give your older boat away ( which if you want a quick sale you will have to do.

#26 MarkMT

MarkMT

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationLake Zurich, Illinois or Waiuku, NZ, depending on how I feel. And snow, especially snow.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

They also have a youtube channel... 

More...https://www.youtube....fr0gBUhg/videos

#27 Young Entertainer

Young Entertainer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

Probably not that much, given it is recently painted, remember any 30 year old glass boat is about ready for a paint job and that is the best part of 40 k plus, then make the interior look as good as this one looks and I would think at 70k it is a fairly good deal

Stryker, Yosemite, Mr Kamikaze, Faster Coyote, A.W.O.L, Faster Coyote, and then Rawhide man that is a lot of boats

#28 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

It is possible to paint a hull yourself for s lot less..
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#29 eruptn

eruptn

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationRotorua

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

Lots of good advice there. A few have mentioned the trailer sailer path, we have a very active trailer yacht squadron based onLake Rotoiti (Rotorua), several of our past members have moved on to keel boats, several have cruised the islands and at least one has sailed around the globe. Others have done RNI and numerous coastal races.

The Rotorua lakes area along with a trailer yacht can be a economic option. Soaking in a lake shore hot spring is hard to beat. Fell free to call by if your ever in the area.

Ross 650 Farr 940

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users