#11 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:00 PM

Here's an update on the Nautix A88 and dry sailing. The paint company responded to my enquiry (took them only 45min to respond).

----

You can leave your Pogo 36 and lauch it again. This is not a problem while  your tank is not empty.

The 2 risks are:
  • Dusts adhere on her hull when on the yard. This creates a barrier coat resulting inactive antifouling

• When launched water impregnation could be longer because paint is really dry.   Boat could be dirty during first month.  

In both cases, sponge cleaning could be necessary.

In this case he refers to the "tank", an analogy he used earlier in the response -  New antifoul = full tank

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#12 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:44 AM

Did they give any indication as to how long it could sit dry?

Surely after a time it must loss it mojo.

The dust comment is interesting. That would imply the active (??) layer, the outside, is reasonable prone to outside influences which could piss with it's efficiency. Or maybe yards there have lots of dust, which sounds a little not right. 

I sanded a pile of anti-fouling last week that's been dry for a long while. Talk about fecking hard, it nearly laughed at 40 grit disks on a good commercial machine. As I did I was wondering what it would be like if put back in the water......and how pleased I was I put a mask on. Even using a course 40g it created a very fine dust cloud which just hung in the air. 

Sadly as much as I prepared my costume to match theirs almost identically I still didn't get a interview with the Blue Man Group :)

#13 Cazzate

Cazzate

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

When will you be splashing KM ? . I’ve been following Alcatraz rebuild on SA and he’s rapidly nearing completion and hoping to make this years CC . Would be quite something to see you both on the start line

#14 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:40 PM

Tossing up whether to go in before or after I bugger off motorsickling for a wee while. Lots on at the moment and I'm still a little broken which may make the decision for us. Unlikely to do the CC, been there done that so many times I'm a little over it. But there is one plan that has the CC as part of a just in case RNI qualifying bimble so ya never know.

#15 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:32 AM

Did they give any indication as to how long it could sit dry?

Surely after a time it must loss it mojo.

The dust comment is interesting. That would imply the active (??) layer, the outside, is reasonable prone to outside influences which could piss with it's efficiency. Or maybe yards there have lots of dust, which sounds a little not right. 

As I understand it, sitting dry becomes a problem because the paint gets "too dry" and then seawater can't penetrate and the active components stay locked in the paint rather than slowly leeching out. So if it's really too dry maybe it won't rehydrate properly. The response I got seemed to suggest that it would rehydrate but would likely take a little longer, and therefore the paint might not work it's true magic as quickly - but that overall, dry storing it like that (2 weeks in, 2 months on the hard) shouldn't reduce the efficacy in the long run. And if the actives only leech out for the few weeks it's in the water, then maybe I'll get a bit longer between AF applications.

Same with surface contamination. The contamination prevents the leeching out of the goodies/baddies...

I'll give her  sponge bath (maybe with a fine scratch pad) before we launch again and we'll see how well it works.

But overall, I can get 3-4 in-and-outs + 6 months yard storage for the same cost as a new antifoul...

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#16 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,676 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

As I said above, this is why you use a Hard AF and not a soft ablative or self polishing. Soft AF's require the coating to remian soft in order to work. Hard AF's do not. They rely on the copper, boat speed and regular brushing clean, even sometimes a light sand to expose more copper and biocides. Which for your boat KM, you are going to need a hard AF anyway, because your boat will be too fast for a soft to hang on, especially when under a kite.

#17 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

Sponge bathing unlike any of my fantasies :)

Which for your boat KM, you are going to need a hard AF anyway, because your boat will be too fast for a soft to hang on, especially when under a kite.

I like your faith but not too sure I share it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users