NZ-Tonga Passage Videos

At the end of May I was part of the crew helping to deliver a Farr1104 (Close Encounters) up to Tonga. The owner has now headed off around the islands for the season while I, unfortunately, had to fly back to the NZ winter. Having been back for a few days I've made a couple of videos of our trip and thought I'd post them here if anyone was interested in seeing a little bit of our experience on the big blue yonder.

Here goes.

Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYuWj774pys

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLM5aFgSwLQ

• Upvote 6

the first night out definitely was not fun  - we left same day as Close Encounters but from Marsden Cove, one of my crew spent so much time talking to his bucket that he named it!

After that first night trip was OK to Nukualofa and after a few days there tonite anchored in a glassy calm bay in the Vavaus.

the first night out definitely was not fun  - we left same day as Close Encounters but from Marsden Cove, one of my crew spent so much time talking to his bucket that he named it!

After that first night trip was OK to Nukualofa and after a few days there tonite anchored in a glassy calm bay in the Vavaus.

Yep, that first 24 hours or so was a little queasy. Mind you, I think boats leaving the day after (Tuesday) got that front passing over Northland much worse than we did from the reports I've heard. For us though the worst was on the Friday (I think) when it was a fairly strong NW kicking up a short sea which had us bouncing and bruised for the full day. The rest of the trip was great conditions and we never saw anything of the bigger winds that were forecast to catch us up as we approached Tongatapu. 

Great trip, enjoy the Vavaus.