• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 formula

formula

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

Hi Guys and Girls. Tauranga yacht club had keeler committee meeting on Tuesday. subject that came up was akl-tga race. there were a number of tga boats keen to carry on race but we would like feedback from other parts of country. as we all know numbers have dropped lots from heyday but we want to keep it going and build it back up. We are basically starting from scratch with the race. can we please have some feedback from you guys. 

what time of year. dates have been suggested as: back to Easter. Waitangi weekend, or a date late November(wouldn't be a long weekend)

thank you

#2 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationSouth of the Bombays

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

It’s a great race, I’ve done it 4 times and imho it’s far better than the coastal as everyone mixes at the club at the end etc.
Not sure about when, Easter is notorious for either a storm or glass being a full moon you get one or the other.
If it was a feeder to a regatta of some sort may work, the problem is the calendar is full and everyone what’s to cruise January
Boxing Day, works for that small Aussie race, then allow for a cruise back up the coast with new year at the Mount ? or Whanga or Whitianga or the Mercs.
Just thoughts
The best sailors do it two handed

#3 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

It’s a great race, I’ve done it 4 times and imho it’s far better than the coastal as everyone mixes at the club at the end etc.
Not sure about when, Easter is notorious for either a storm or glass being a full moon you get one or the other.
If it was a feeder to a regatta of some sort may work, the problem is the calendar is full and everyone what’s to cruise January
Boxing Day, works for that small Aussie race, then allow for a cruise back up the coast with new year at the Mount ? or Whanga or Whitianga or the Mercs.
Just thoughts

Like a “Tauranga race week” or “BOP festival of sail”?? I like. If you plan it around a spring tide, you might be able to do a round matakana raid for the shallower draft boats...

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#4 formula

formula

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

never thought bout boxing day or even the 27th. then we could do some short races each day say 20milers down here on the 29th and 30th 31st so those who wanted to get family down here for new years and have a holiday.

#5 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:40 AM

Hmmm, just looked at a chart... you’d need a pretty shallow draft boat even on a spring...

But I think some kind of longer event based in Tga might be just the ticket. Try and cater to a wide range of diff sailing groups for the event, And not only the keelers coming down for the akl-Tga.

#6 DrWatson

DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

never thought bout boxing day or even the 27th. then we could do some short races each day say 20milers down here on the 29th and 30th 31st so those who wanted to get family down here for new years and have a holiday.

Do/have any BOI boats done the akl-Tga? Wonder if the hardened few might consider a Xmas day feeder race to akl...

#7 formula

formula

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

i think maybe xmas time may be a bit hard on people with families and hard for boats to get crew. thoughts?

another weekend could be queens birthday also.    next year is also tauranga clubs 100year anniversary

#8 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,762 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

Easter is what killed it, id suggest not a long weekend. People dont mind taking a day off work to go sailing, but families dont like losing long weekends.

#9 ballystick

ballystick

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationTauranga

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

Do you think if it was Cat 4 plus like the Coastal if it would make a difference?

We cannot direct the wind but we CAN adjust our sails

#10 Ed

Ed

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

Coastal is Cat 3 minus a liferaft or dinghy, you still need a Cat 3 cert.

I would doubt it would be accepted, as its a big stretch of open water from the top of coromandal to Tauranga, also considering White Island race is CAT3 plus (I think) was you must have a lift raft(dinghy not acceptable) and a sat phone.Its the Race committees call though, the can take the proposal to YNZ and the safety committee to get their view/buy in.

Would it make a difference... unlikely to the boats that are liable to do it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users