#91 L00seM00se

L00seM00se

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:01 PM

C38CBC32-1C81-4C7E-BC19-59BB3F112382.jpeg

Knot me this is the MK1 rocket in Dunedin dunno if it’s still available ? I’m pretty sure some of our southern members know this boat and will know if it sold or knot

Friend of a friend bought her.

#92 BOIGuy

BOIGuy

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:40 PM

Crewed on a friends 930 a few weeks ago for winter series race, took my 8 year old son, the owner had his son on board - similar age and we had a girl from the highschool team who we got to helm for the whole race. I raced a lot years ago and it definitely wasn't like this.

Turned out to be one of the most enjoyable races I've had for a long time, good breeze about 10 boats in the fleet, flew all the right sails, no yelling and screaming, no agressive match racing wannabees ... We got back to the club and found about 4 or 5 more kids had been out on some of the other boats too, they all had a ball and so did I. 

got me thinking a bit about what its all about. Found a couple of posts on another forum that fitted in well and give a bit of food for thought:

Three Laser sailors get Olympic medals every four years. Some get multiple medals by participating in multiple Olympics

Why the hell would any reasonable  person  believe thousands of kids are on an Olympic path ??

There are no trickledown effects from our governing body, no kickbacks, no special deals, nothing! You must fund it all yourself. Which has actually created a clicky/snooty group of Trophy Hunting families going back generations controlling clubs and classes (N.Z) I have to do my best and turn a blind eye to this sort of crap, which I was well and truly warned about prior to getting involved with....

I have come to realise that my kid will never amount to anything in the sporting world. But loves turning up to have a sail. That’s all I can be happy about. 

We recently had a regatta (in winter) kids had more fun jumping out of boats and swimming around laughing than worrying about racing, a reality check for some parents and myself also. But boy were they happy.

I'm pretty sure I was at the regatta mentioned above, helping out on the water, I could see that the Aucklanders were a bit out of their comfort zone but by the end of the weekend most of them had a little light bulb go on. I'd like to think our club did quite a bit for the future of yachting during that regatta.

#93 Funfish

Funfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationChristchurch

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:28 AM

Crewed on a friends 930 a few weeks ago for winter series race, took my 8 year old son, the owner had his son on board - similar age and we had a girl from the highschool team who we got to helm for the whole race. I raced a lot years ago and it definitely wasn't like this.
Turned out to be one of the most enjoyable races I've had for a long time, good breeze about 10 boats in the fleet, flew all the right sails, no yelling and screaming, no agressive match racing wannabees ... We got back to the club and found about 4 or 5 more kids had been out on some of the other boats too, they all had a ball and so did I. 
got me thinking a bit about what its all about. Found a couple of posts on another forum that fitted in well and give a bit of food for thought:

Three Laser sailors get Olympic medals every four years. Some get multiple medals by participating in multiple Olympics
Why the hell would any reasonable  person  believe thousands of kids are on an Olympic path ??

There are no trickledown effects from our governing body, no kickbacks, no special deals, nothing! You must fund it all yourself. Which has actually created a clicky/snooty group of Trophy Hunting families going back generations controlling clubs and classes (N.Z) I have to do my best and turn a blind eye to this sort of crap, which I was well and truly warned about prior to getting involved with....
I have come to realise that my kid will never amount to anything in the sporting world. But loves turning up to have a sail. That’s all I can be happy about. 
We recently had a regatta (in winter) kids had more fun jumping out of boats and swimming around laughing than worrying about racing, a reality check for some parents and myself also. But boy were they happy.

I'm pretty sure I was at the regatta mentioned above, helping out on the water, I could see that the Aucklanders were a bit out of their comfort zone but by the end of the weekend most of them had a little light bulb go on. I'd like to think our club did quite a bit for the future of yachting during that regatta.

We’ve just restructured our youth sailing approach with huge success...
Key changes were
Focus for post learn to sail is “adventures and fun days” ...with racing an option for those interested.
Parents of learn to sailers are targeted and drawn into crews so they get the experience and sailing bug,,,
We’ve searched for and found the old boats in the community that have been parked up in sheds... given them a tidy up ( many were donated to the club) and made them part of the fun fleet.
Our youth sailers have been connected to the Elliott 6 fleet at a bigger club nearby and raced the Twilight series together as crews,
Our current project is setting up a small fleet of ( mostly donated) trailer yachts that out newbie families can take away for holiday sailing...
Club is growing,,, everyone having fun... no Olympic champions but three youth looking at marine industry careers...

#94 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

Key changes were
Focus for post learn to sail is “adventures and fun days” ...with racing an option for those interested.
Parents of learn to sailers are targeted and drawn into crews so they get the experience and sailing bug,,,
We’ve searched for and found the old boats in the community that have been parked up in sheds... given them a tidy up ( many were donated to the club) and made them part of the fun fleet.
Our youth sailers have been connected to the Elliott 6 fleet at a bigger club nearby and raced the Twilight series together as crews,
Our current project is setting up a small fleet of ( mostly donated) trailer yachts that out newbie families can take away for holiday sailing...
Club is growing,,, everyone having fun... no Olympic champions but three youth looking at marine industry careers...

Funfish,

That is gold and really heart warming to hear. Good work.

#95 mattm

mattm

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

Awesome, that’s the best yacht club news I’ve heard in ages.

The fun days are a great idea, especially if done on a bunch of different from normal club fodder designs. Will help the 90% who aren’t winning every week have more fun and hopefully stay in Sailing.

Key changes were

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users