• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#11 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:49 PM

I would add to Mate's list the cost of housing , electricity, food , transport means less disposable income for many, so no sailing.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#12 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:02 PM

RAYC catered for small yachts in the late 70s early 80s big fleets,KM you would would of sailed a few on the harmonic asI  raced on the tasman 20 with Mr Henderson.Mid 80s big traler fleets at PCC.

Winter racing never a crew shortage.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#13 Kiwifish

Kiwifish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

Sounds like ya’ll discussing racing? Not yachting.

Our club is going great, lots of members, the trailer compound is choker and has a wait list, the neighbouring club has increased numbers year on year and are also doing great.

By the sounds of the marina activity in Auckland they have no shortage of yachts? Prices sky rocketing due to supply/demand....Unless they are all powerboats?

The grass is greenest where you water it. Www.gulfwanderers.blog

#14 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:02 AM

Sounds like ya’ll discussing racing? Not yachting.

One of my favourite hobby horses.  Rum racing should be designed to introduce people to yachting, instead of fun you get protests,  collisions, special rum race sails, blah blah blah  Yawn yawn CBF.

I believe the format should have changed 20 years ago - enter the "event", sail the course, decent spot prizes at clubrooms.  Get those Average White Boats out for a sail on a Thursday/Friday night, with the incentive of winning something - without the stress of a start or w*nkers shouting at you.

#15 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:56 AM

Dtwo that's the problem right there with rum races some forget that's it's a fun race and need to forgive those who are not up to date on rules or have fast yachts.rum races were to get bums on boats but the must win at all costs by some stops Joe average from entering.clubs need to have basic rules to make it social and get crews in to club rooms afterwards.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#16 Clipper

Clipper

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

Id enter a rum eace if i could afford it. BBYC does a good rum race, but in my experience a few years ago, the squadron appears to actively discourage rum racers.

#17 Bradz

Bradz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

Id enter a rum eace if i could afford it. BBYC does a good rum race, but in my experience a few years ago, the squadron appears to actively discourage rum racers.

$45 for non members at the squadron.. Ouch.

Edited by Bradz, 15 June 2019 - 08:51 AM.

#18 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

The RNZYS is out of touch with its members.

45 for a non member is elitist, a medium bottle of Havana is about that. Members pay 25, but wouldn't it be better to call non members "guests" and offer them the race at the same price for say 5 races before the disincentive kicks in? Total lack of imagination (see my previous comment about poor management) Furthermore in the same rum race they don't give out the rum for participation, but rather seem intent on keeping their miserable bottles if a boat doesn't attend, no spot prizes and hows this, line prizes in a handicap race for the gun boat. (which may be ok if but there is one boat that wins line thus rum in every race) Which btw is the classic way to root a class but I am sure it will eventually have a disincentive effect.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#19 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

We had a great time rum racing last night on motorboat with the RNZYS.
6 kids under 10 on board who drove all race (apart from the start!). And we won rum.
Fantastic night as always.

Just trying to put some positive into such a negative thread....

#20 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

Crikey I thought the legal drinking age was 18 and over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users