The best sailors do it two handed

#22 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

Here is a mix it up 750 mile format that looks like a whole bunch of fun.
R2AK 2019
https://youtu.be/b99qBfYaxV8
My favourite little cat in 2018 race.
https://youtu.be/dTbUO-s0yNw

#23 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:01 AM

Point taken Booboo, you make it what it is. If you tend to happy and positive then same with your racing experience and long may it last, inversely miserable people always have a bad time and complain a lot.

What I am commenting in is the shortsightedness by the reptilian overlords, and clipper has pointed out the ridiculous price for a guest to enter it! Once upon a time the Ponce had 2 divisions and 40 plus boats rum racing on a Thursday, the RNZYS are on a roll at the moment and Friday rum racing is a lot of fun but dont think for a second that they cant screw it up. Lots of people can psychologically fit that race into the end of the week so its an excellent place to cultivate crew and for new skippers to join in. But its also easy to kill the golden goose as the ponce has discovered with pretty much only a handful of boats doing their rum race despite a great commodore, far superior courses and much cheaper piss

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#24 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

If you want to know why an event is failing, dont ask the current fleet why. Find those who aren't competing and ask them
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#25 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:12 AM

Panmure thurday night rum races over summer are free and still couldnt get more than 4 at times,sponsored rum.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#26 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Locationon the waters Land and else where

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

Panmure thurday night rum races over summer are free and still couldnt get more than 4 at times,sponsored rum.

Why? Ponsonby  club used to get heaps. Where is the Panmure club situated that could have something to do with it..

©  2013 2014 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

RETIRED ADVANCING MULTIHULL, MONOHULL SAILOR, ORGANIZER , NAVIGATOR, PREVIOUS SKIPPER

OCEAN COASTAL WATERS COMBINED, CRUISER / RACER ADVANCING MEMBER.

#27 B00B00

B00B00

Advanced Member

• Marine Forums Only
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationAuckland.

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

Lets look at it another way.

Membership at the RNZYS is not cheap but many of us pay it because that's the club we sail with. It has many benefits for us that make it worth while (reciprocal rights at many overseas clubs for example).
If non members or 'guests' have many if the same benefits but without paying any membership fees then why would you bother becoming a member?
How does that help the sport?

It sure looks to me like there are plenty of boats heading out rum racing at the RNZYS on Friday nights....

#28 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

Why? Ponsonby  club used to get heaps. Where is the Panmure club situated that could have something to do with it..

Panmure historically had good fleets. Plenty of boats in the river but not bothering with the PYBC.

#29 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:03 PM

Rum races are for the wealthy and the retired they aren't serious nor are they the entirety of yachting, far from it.

Nor is it a club v club thing as ALL clubs are suffering the same issues, keelboat at least. I've chatted to many YC's management over the last season or 3 and the length of the country, all say the same thing, all are facing the same issues to varying degrees.

#30 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,870 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:17 PM

I dont know much about current racing, its many years since I did much but local club events. However, I can say the cruising fleets are growing. I think the racing issue is cost. The middle class kiwis provided the bulk of the competing boats in the past, and that middle class has significantly reduced in number. People are either struggling to make ends meet, working long hours, with very limited time, or they can afford expensive race boats, and often paid crews. Not so much in the middle any more. This is also why short handed racing is more popular - easier to find a crew. IMO.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users