91 replies to this topic

#71 mcp

mcp

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

Yachting NZ and local clubs seem to be doing absolutely nothing to attract non-sailors to keel boats

Or doing anything about attracting sailboat owning non members.  

I think Island Time summed it up pretty good, earlier in this thread.

#72 Cazzate

Cazzate

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:12 PM

Mast up hardstand provides many savings in maintenance etc over a boat kept in the water.  Dry sailing is very popular overseas where there are lots of facilities & infrastructure.  Unfortunately in Auckland there aren't many options for larger boats (25 - 30 foot) which is a shame, especially as there are some awesome modern trailer boats available.  Westhaven hardstand is almost as expensive as a small marina berth.  The area of housing close to Bucklands Beach boat ramp doesn't have overhead power lines so some people there can keep their boat at home mast up & tow it down to the ramp.  Lots of great facilities in the rest of NZ for trailer sailing.

Couple of rockets in oz , 780 MK4 in the handstand park and a rocket 40 just craned in , check the crane in the background and the Y11 in its cradle . Dry sailing is a thing even though it’s not done here but can’t see it ever gaining traction in Auckland .

Those sorts of facilities probably cost a lot to set up but the long term running costs are likely to be low compared to running a marina .

Attached Files

#73 whitepointer

whitepointer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

10K a year for marina fees and insurance and years worth of anti foul, a lot of people spend more than that on cigarettes, it’s all about choices

#74 Priscilla II

Priscilla II

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:26 PM

POST REMOVED BY MODERATOR

#75 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:35 AM

Talking to mate who is a leader for a youth sailing group last night. Too much has fallen on too few for too long and the group is failing and isn't far from winding up due to a lack of interest and support from other parents. 

They have systems, boats, patrol boats, a virtual "turn key" operation that would take a heap of effort and dollars to replace and I doubt if they are alone.

Seems awfully sad to me but is this just a sign of the times?.  

I think this is a big part of it, all clubs are suffering from no support. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#76 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

Couple of rockets in oz , 780 MK4 in the handstand park and a rocket 40 just craned in

I know someone who is very actively hunting for a Rocket. Don't suppose you know if that one or any others that are for sale?

#77 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

Something you don't see today, local news.

It's been displaced by adverts for big gas guzzling fizz nasties.

Attached File  Club and Class news 1991.pdf   1.46MB   45 downloads

#78 Maté

Maté

Sailor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

KM, its a sign of the the times. We cant look backwards as those days are gone and will never ever be repeated.

Nostalgia: "A wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition" 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

#79 Cazzate

Cazzate

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

I know someone who is very actively hunting for a Rocket. Don't suppose you know if that one or any others that are for sale?

There was a very dilapidated MKl in Dunedin for sale recently

And there are the molds for the MKlll in PNG they good sold there from Gold Coast but no boats got built in PNG apparently

#80 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

There was a very dilapidated MKl in Dunedin for sale recently

And there are the molds for the MKlll in PNG they good sold there from Gold Coast but no boats got built in PNG apparently

Cheers, I'll pass that on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users